[Sw-l] Placement of Signs in Space

Valerie Sutton 0000001342802f5f-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Fri Apr 23 17:09:16 UTC 2021

SignWriting List
April 23, 2021

Hi Adam, Cherie, Andre, Steve, Jonathan and everyone -

The old textbooks, such as Lessons in SignWriting, and DanceWriting for Modern and Jazz Dance, have diagrams trying to show the concept of the Raked Stage. The longer line represents “closer to the reader” which is really the audience in the dance world, but in the sign language world, writing in the Expressive, the audience is looking through the back of the signer, and becoming the signer. So “closer to the reader” means “closer to the chest” or “closer to your body”. Whether writing body movement or sign languages, and whether writing Expressive or Receptive, the concept of the Raked Stage shows depth. Please excuse the childlike nature of some of these drawings - they were done quickly in 1979 while teaching a dance class - I am looking forward to updating our books this decade ;-)

—————