[Sw-l] Apresenta ção

Mon Apr 26 22:45:09 UTC 2021

SignWriting List
April 26, 2021

Welcome Josenilson Mendes to the SignWriting List!

Very happy to meet you officially, although I know of your work and I am delighted to meet you directly. Thank you for posting your introduction.

Here is the English translation, from Google Translate, of Josenilson’s introduction below in Portuguese:

English Translation:

Dear Valerie Sutton and SignWriting List participants,
My name is Josenilson da Silva Mendes. I am 48 years old. I live in Fortaleza, capital of Ceará-BR. I have been a Brazilian Sign Language (Libras) translator and interpreter since 1990. My first contact with SignWriting was in 1997, at a Congress on Deaf Education, in Rio de Janeiro-RJ.
Today, I work as a translator and interpreter of Libras at the Federal University of Ceará-UFC. From 2012, I started to deepen my knowledge about the Sutton SignWriting system with the book by Madson and Raquel Barreto, “SignWriting Without Mysteries”. In 2015, I got to know SignWriting.org and SignBank.org. Since then, I have done translations from Portuguese to Libras, mainly from the Bible, on SignPuddle Online, and transcriptions of videos in Libras through the Sutton system. I also proofread translations and texts written in Libras by the Sutton system for some hearing and deaf colleagues.

I completed my Master's degree in Translation Studies in 2020, at UFC, and my dissertation was a commented translation involving SignWriting. I have taught others what I have learned and continue to learn about the Sutton SignWriting system.

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu