[Sw-l] Society for American Sign Language Journal

Richard Gleaves richardgleaves at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 28 03:35:19 UTC 2021

Last year Gallaudet Press published the following book, which addresses the subject of Deaf literacy from an international perspective:

Literacy and Deaf Education
Toward a Global Understanding

    http://gupress.gallaudet.edu/literacy-and-deaf-education.html

The following excerpt is from the book overview on this webpage:

International perspectives about literacy and deaf students is an uncharted intellectual landscape. Much of the literacy research in deaf education is conducted in English-speaking countries—primarily the United States—but 90% of deaf children live outside the U.S. and learn various signed and spoken languages, as well as diverse writing systems. Many of these children face significant educational challenges. In order to improve the literacy outcomes of deaf students around the world, it is imperative to study how children are using their local signed and spoken languages along with Deaf culture to learn to read and write. This volume fills a void in the field by providing a global view of recent theoretical and applied research on literacy education for deaf learners.

The author of the book's chapter on Brazil – Cátia de Azevedo Fronza – has previously coauthored a paper on SignWriting, so hopefully this part of the book mentions the role SignWriting has played in Brazilian Deaf education. But I cannot be sure, because at $95 this book is beyond my budget.

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu