[Sw-l] DanceWriting examples of Balinese traditional dance

Sutthikhun Phaengphongsai suttikunep at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 22 18:25:58 EDT 2021

Hello SW List members!

For anyone interested in writing body movement and also dancing, these are
new examples of oriental ethnic dances following my previous project, DW
for Burmese dance. Now it's time for *DW for Balinese dance*! What are Bali
and Balinese? Bali is a province of Indonesia which is a country in
Southeast Asia, and the westernmost of the Lesser Sunda Islands, and
Balinese are the people or the language or the dancing or anything else of
Bali.

Balinese traditional dance stands out so much in facial expression and
movement of hands (especially hand gestures), limbs, head-neck, and torso
twisting. Moreover, rapidly changing dynamics in movement is also a
distinctive style of the Balinese dance. Seems interesting, right? So to
write the dance pattern into DW, *I had to use so many symbols* to identify
these movements specifically, and I'm sure that writing a DW for Balinese
dance is worth a lot of these plentiful symbols! All of the writing follows
the rules and instructions in the DanceWriting for Modern & Jazz Dance, an
instruction textbook published in 1979 by Valerie Sutton (
https://www.dancewriting.org/archive/dw0005_DanceWriting_For_Modern_and_Jazz_Dance_1979.pdf
).

The previous project of mine, *DW for Burmese traditional dance, is still
being processed* and waits to be published when it's done! Now there are
two dances of two cultures that I'm interested in alongside.

[image: sign (27).png]
Sutthikhun (Ae)