[Sw-l] Writing Dances from Myanmar/Burma and Thailand

Sutthikhun Phaengphongsai suttikunep at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 30 21:29:16 UTC 2021

Hello everyone!

The project about DanceWriting for a traditional Burmese dance is currently
being processed. I'd like to say thanks to Valerie for publishing my work
on the DW website. However, those beta-images published are just parts of
my first experiment that may not be correct by so many DW's rules that I
need to learn more about.

Anyway, I have found that the original DW system has something remaining
ambiguous, e.g., shapes of the hand, face expressions, which have become
more clearly distinguishable in the SignWriting system. So it would be very
interesting if the symbols in the SW were able to fill in the missing
symbols in the DW, which would be very helpful for some dances focused more
on hand movements! As far as I know, a lot of dances in South and Southeast
Asia are quite prominent in changing facial expressions and hand gestures
during the dance. So I want to try making a DW for dances in this region
starting with the Burmese dance.

FYI: The series of Burmese dance steps in my project are called "Kabyar
Lut", literally meaning Dance-without-Verse. The 125 steps of dance were
codified in 1953 by Daw Oba Thaung, an eminent Burmese anyeint dancer and
singer. But I would only write the DW some steps as a preliminary
experiment based on provided youtube videos.

Sutthikhun
:D

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: