[Sw-l] Thai Fingerspelling: Vowels and marks

Sutthikhun Phaengphongsai suttikunep at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 15 21:36:12 UTC 2021

Hello SWList members!

   - If you still remember, I published on Thai Fingerspelling of
   Consonants almost 2 months ago, just before the SW mail list went down.
   Here's the second-half of the work I recently finished, which involved
   fingerspelling (FS) a lot of Thai vowel elements and other marks.
   - By the way, I'd like to express my appreciation to Adam Frost and
   Valerie Sutton for their advice on hand symbol selection and proper
   detailing in writing signs for the FS. There appear to be several other SW
   approaches and alternatives that I still need to learn more about from you
   all, SWList members here!
   - Moreover, I intend to add FS of scripts in other languages to
   SignPuddle after this work is completed. As far as I can see, there are
   only FS based on the Latin alphabet in SignPuddle for now. I think having
   FS written in SW for various types of letters would be fascinating and
   useful!

The following are the details of my work:

   - Thai Fingerspelling: Vowels and marks
   Sutthikhun Phaengphongsai (15 Oct 2021)
   - In 1952, Khunying Kamala Krairiksh collaborated with Dr. Elizabeth
   Benson to develop Thai FS for Thai consonants and also vowels and marks
   (VMs) from that of American Sign Language (ASL). Because English only has
   five vowel alphabets (a, e, i, o, and u), ASL vowel FS is still
   insufficient for the number of VMs in Thai. As a result, Thai FS had to be
   modified a wider range of hand gestures to accommodate all 16 vowel
   elements, 4 tonal marks, and 4 other marks, totaling 24 marks.
   - The VMs in Thai FS presentation are traditionally arranged as
   scattered stuffs on the palm of a hand, but in this figure, the hand
   gestures have been literally rearranged according to the position of the
   VMs in each Thai syllable to make it easier to understand where the true
   position of each element in that syllable is.
   - Wikimedia file:
   https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sign_ThSL_fingerspelling_vowel.png

My rearranged table style of Thai FS
[image: Sign_ThSL_fingerspelling_vowel.png]
The traditional Thai FS presentation
[image: image.png]

Actually, because figures with analogous hand gestures in the new table are
not placed as close to each other as in the traditional presentation, I'm
not going to affirm that my rearranging makes it easier to learn. I simply
want to arrange them in a different way by grouping them by Thai writing
alphabetical position.

Thank you for letting me share here ;)
[image: sign (14).png]
Sutthikhun (Ae)