[Sw-l] Additional Handshapes

Tue Oct 26 21:07:42 UTC 2021

SignWriting List
October 28, 2021

First, I want to welcome a new member to our List, Keren Cumberbatch. Thank you, Keren, for the questions about constructing handshapes.

Second, many thanks to Adam and Sutthikhun (Ae), for your help. I do so appreciate it.

Before you joined, Keren, Adam and Sutthikhun (Ae) had already been discussing your handshapes in question:

      .

I believe we all agree on the first one:

It is the thumb inside a fist, with the index finger extended. It would be two handshapes combined:

and of course there are different palm facings. This handshape needs to be constructed because it is not a part of the official ISWA 2010 symbolset. But all the pieces are there for you. Do you know how to access and find those shapes in SignPuddle Online? I do not know how SooSL works with handshapes.

The second handshape is hard to see in the photo, but Adam and Sutthikhun made different suggestions - You can find their earlier messages in the SW List Archives for today:

Archive 4
https://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist/

From your description, “ The second one which may be difficult to identify is an index middle cross hinge, thumb side”, and looking at the suggestions, it looks like to me that it is an R hand (crossed fingers) angled forward, like the Letter N in ASL, but the thumb goes to the side, like this:

As you can see, this is also a constructed handshape and even if you want to write it differently than I have posted above, we do not have it in the ISWA 2010 either - so both handshapes have to be constructed.

So what to do about needing more handshapes in the ISWA? It would be so much chaos for the software developers who have already built their software on the current symbolset to change the current symbolset now - the best thing we could try, is for brave software developers to develop an “add-on” program that could somehow be accessed on the side, while still keeping the current software in tact.

How do other people feel about this? Rubens Almeida and others have also requested more handshapes. Is there anyone who can help this issue?

Val ;-)