[Sw-l] Simplified DanceWriting for Footstep Dances

Sutthikhun Phaengphongsai suttikunep at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 25 22:43:42 UTC 2022

Hello SW List Members,

I just had nostalgia about student activities and experience in the
university that I graduated from. Mahidol University (Salaya Campus),
outside Bangkok, is where I graduated from. Because students from all
around the country have gathered here, there are lots of activities to
build relationships between faculties and colleges. *The students have
created a variety of dances for group dancing and singing in several
ice-breaking activities.*

Footstep is one of the easiest movements to practice and can be performed
in groups ranging from a few to over 100 people. Although I used to dance
dozens of moves while I was still in the school, including many footstep
dances, I have forgotten all of them except for "Salaya Step" because the
move is very easy to practice. At that time, I had attempted to notate
those dances, but I had no idea how to take notes, so I gave up. *But now
that I know how to use DanceWriting to notate movements, I decided to
transcribe the "Salaya Step,"* which is the only dance I can recognize to
this day.

Initially, I meant to notate according to the traditional DW, but I've
realized that footstep dances just involve leg and foot movement. So,
similar to the development of SignWriting, I believe that if the DW can be
simplified to note some parts of the body, it will be very efficient. When
SW is a variant of DW that has been designed to be appropriate for writing
only head, hand, and trunk movement, *I think it could also be used to
write DW for foot dances in a simpler way!*

See my DW-captioned video here:
https://youtu.be/v91uPtRtsr4

Note:
This is a notation that has been modified from the original DW to suit only
leg and foot dances. It's written from the *Expressive viewpoint* like that
of SW, so dancers can look at it and practice without having to mirror the
image.

😉 Hope you enjoy watching the video,
Sutthikhun

sutton at signwriting.org