[Sw-l] How to write signs in different locations?

Wed Aug 24 18:23:03 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
August 24, 2022

Hello Andre, Rubens, Josenilson and everyone on the SignWriting List!

Thank you, Andre, for this post to the SignWriting List, which I have pasted as a screen capture below.

I believe I understand your point. When people write SignWriting in vertical columns, we read down the vertical column, from top to bottom, so signs that are stacked vertically are easier to read because the reader’s eye goes down the page…and any signs that have symbols written horizontally, placed wide, from side to side, are harder to read because the reader has to take time to read left to right and then come back to vertical again…that is true!

On the other hand, there are some signs that are written to the right of the Head or Face, and we need to be able to show that the sign is being produced to the “side of the face”. That makes the sign wider for sure.

So there are a few times, when writing Locations, there are some exceptions.

Thank you for your example here:

This is touching the mouth… this is clearly written.

How would you write it if it was in front of the mouth and close to the mouth but not touching? If we take away the contact star, and leave the hands where they are right now, I would think the sign was in Neutral signing space and not in front of the mouth… but instead in front of the chest…

Years ago, the same question came up and here is the E-Lessons on March 3, 2000…

Writing Signs in Front of Face
https://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less027.html

This is a good discussion and I hope to have time to write more -

And I hope you can answer this message on the SignWriting List, Andre!

Thank you for your message and your patience with the SW List -