[Sw-l] Padilha Leonardo Brazil cartoon written in SignWriting

Dale Spoor dale.spoor27 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 27 23:37:32 UTC 2022

Hi, Val,

Yes, I'm still working with deaf people on our sister island Ometepe, in
Lake Nicaragua (the kids have grown up since I started working with them 15
years ago, so I have to start referring to them as adults).  The five who
graduated from high school are all just now finishing up studying for two
years in various fields: cooking, cosmetology, and tailoring, ready to go
out into the workplace. One of them may eventually become a sign language
teacher.   We have  sign language workshops scheduled for the month of
January with a great Nicaraguan deaf teacher coming to the island, thanks
as always to James Kegl for his assistance.

I recently turned over the chair of our special needs committee to a team
of three people--all very sharp and have been involved with the deaf and
blind in various ways.  I'm 84 now, sensing it was time to do this so that
we had an orderly transition of leadership, rather than waiting.  This way
I've been able to share all that I've learned over the years and still keep
peripherally involved.

The work you and others are doing with SignWriting is absolutely amazing!
This is going to bring about so many new life-changing possibilities for
deaf people it's just hard to imagine.  I wanted to forward that link to
our new committee chair team. One of them was instrumental in teaching the
basics of SW writing when we were on Ometepe a couple of years ago, so I'm
trying to get him interested in following the SW developments, learning how
to use the software so that he can teach that.

Dale

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu