[Sw-l] Could you proofread my ASL signwriting?

André Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Wed Feb 9 19:53:46 UTC 2022

Hello Carlos,

I am still learning SW symbols and a written sign language. I do not know
some SW symbols. I signwrite sometimes (not everyday). I cannot watch videos
on YouTube and I can't recognize Hector's face because I am Deafblind and I
use tactile Quebec Sign Language (LSQT) everyday. But, I can still read the
text of a sign.

HANDWAVING from Quebec (French Canada)

André
De :  Carlos Cristian Libras <carloscristianlibras at GMAIL.COM>
Répondre à :  "SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages"
<SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Date :  Tue, 08 Feb 2022 17:43:14 -0300
À :  <SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Objet :  Re: Could you proofread my ASL signwriting?

Hello Andrew,

I'm very happy to see you developing your ASL writing skills through the
"Sutton Signwriting" method.
 I'm also an ASL user and I miss people to talk to in ASL about
"Signwriting".

When I saw you trying to write the 10 signs I remembered myself in 2018 when
I was starting to learn writing (starting, because until today I'm learning
and I feel like I'm still learning this amazing writing method).
Like you, I was also trying to write variations of signs, and at first I
made a lot of mistakes trying to describe variations that for me were more
common than the ones they had in signpuddle.
  If you want a friend to practice writing privately, you can email me. We
can write ASL to each other ;)

I was going to make a video reading it exactly as you wrote it so you can
see where the mistakes are, but Adam and Hector already did a good job.

Go ahead, when we started to understand all the dynamics we fell even more
in love with SignWriting.

A hug from Brazil.

Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu