[Sw-l] [SPAM] Re: [SW-L] signEditor

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Wed Feb 9 21:45:17 UTC 2022

On 2/9/22 10:11 AM, Uta Meißner wrote:
> @Steve I have seen that for DGS not all symbols are used. There was
> probably someone who made decisions. Can it be revised?

If you are talking about the SignMaker symbol palette, this is based on
the symbols that are used in the respective dictionary.  If the symbol
isn't used in the dictionary, it is not available in the respective
alphabetic subset. The subsets are regenerated every night.

> - the grouping of hand shapes by numbers in ASL is not suitable for
> DGS I think. I have observed that many always had to search for a long
> time for a hand shape. That's why we decided not to have a group and
> show all 30 phonemes (main handshapes) right away. We just didn't find
> a better grouping that we are satisfied with.

For SignMaker, it is possible to restructure the symbol palette. Here is
the one for German Sign Language.
http://signbank.org/signmaker/config/alphabet/alphabet-gsg.js

If you look inside, you'll see entries like this:

  S10000: ["S10000", "S10110", "S10210", "S10310", "S10410", "S10510", "S10610", "S10710", "S10a10", "S10b10", "S10c10"],

So the first entry in the symbol palette is "S10000".  The array contains the symbols you can find in that group.  If you wanted to restructure this group, you could create a new object with different top levels and different arrays underneath.

-Steve

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu