[Sw-l] To "V" or not to "V", that is the question.

Sat Feb 12 17:51:13 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
February 12, 2022

Hello SignWriting List, and AnnaGrace,

Thank you, Anna Grace, for your very interesting emails, and thank you to everybody for so many wonderful answers. I enjoyed reading all those emails…. all on one day!

A funny story connected to this… The SignWriting List is Listserve software that is run by Valencia Community College in Florida. We are so blessed that they donate the SignWriting List to us. On that day, when there were so many emails, we exceeded the amount of emails allowed. The SignWriting List had been set up apparently to only except 50 messages per day. We usually don't have 50 messages per day! So I took care of the problem on their server and now we can post again - yeah!

AnnaGrace - I looked in my email and found our original private communication in October 2021. From the original email, I see that you are an ESL instructor. Does this mean that you are using SignWriting to teach deaf people English? And I would assume then that you are skilled in ASL yourself?

Before I discuss the symbols, which I will in a later email, can you tell us a little bit about yourself? What state are you teaching in, in the US? Or are you in another country? We work with over 60 countries now and ASL is used all over the world - perhaps you're in English speaking Canada?

Meanwhile, SignWriting was not developed to only write ASL. The first sign language SignWriting wrote was Danish Sign Language. The second sign language was a sign language from a South Pacific island. And then later ASL was third, when we started the SignWriter Newspaper in 1981.

SignWriting writes body movement related to any sign language in the world. It is also used to write mime, gesture and theater.

I will write more later…

Val ;-)

---------