[Sw-l] Video+Emoji chat for Signing and SignWriting communities

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Wed Feb 16 17:26:26 UTC 2022

Hi John,

Nice to meet you.

The latest software developments are available on GitHub under the
sutton-signwriting organization outlined here:
* https://www.sutton-signwriting.io
* https://github.com/sutton-signwriting/

Older software is available under my personal account:
* https://github.com/slevinski

The first topic is understanding our two character sets: Formal
SignWriting in ASCII (FSW) and SignWriting in Unicode (SWU).  These sets
are isomorphic; they encode the same data using different characters.

On 2/15/22 9:27 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> I think the first step may be to hook up a SignWriting composition
> system to Discord, even if it’s copy and paste.

I know about Discord, but not in depth. To display SignWriting in
Discord, a few thoughts.

There are two packages for creating SVG and PNG images:
@sutton-signwriting/font-db for Node
@sutton-signwriting/font-ttf for Browser

There is a package of web components.
@sutton-signwriting/sgnw-components

This package creates new HTML elements that automatically create the
visual display. It is built on the @sutton-signwriting/font-ttf package.

Example:
<fsw-sign>M525x535S2e748483x510S10011501x466S2e704510x500S10019476x475</fsw-sign>

These packages are used for individual signs.  I am currently adding
column support, but this isn't available yet.

Going forward, a new option will hopefully be available soon.  This
option will use SignWriting in Unicode (SWU) and a new font. This is the
project that Amit was talking about.

Regards,
-Steve

PS - If you want to know more, I have a series of presentations and videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXu4AXlG0rXFtk_5SzumDow
https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/

PPS - If you would like the history of our developments, I have a
personal website with lots of information.
https://steve.signwriting.org