[Sw-l] Scissors Finger Movements

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 21 22:02:01 UTC 2022

I think there is some confusion about the scissor movement. The fingers ONLY move side to side, like scissors. The fingers don’t hinge forward just as they don’t in the image of scissors here.

So the ASL signs for DOG, DELICIOUS, and SMOOTH would not use the scissor finger movement as the fingers hinge forward.

I will be honest that I have never tried writing DELICIOUS or SMOOTH using finger movements. I have with DOG, but our discussion about how to write the sign WHAT-DO or #DO-DO lead me to think of the possibility of using hinge movements for these signs as well. I will try to write them in the next email to show what I am thinking. :-)

Adam