[Sw-l] General movement arrowhead

André Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Fri Feb 25 18:56:28 UTC 2022

Hi Val and everyone,

YES YES YES.

Best regards,

André

De :  Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG>
Répondre à :  "SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages"
<SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Date :  Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:01:16 -0800
À :  <SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Objet :  Re: General movement arrowhead

SignWriting List
February 25, 2022

Guess what! I found it. Indeed you are correct, Andre. The old lessons in
SignWriting textbook did say it this way “two hands move as one unit". I
found the graphic. It is attached here:

And I also found another wonderful description in the old NTID technical
signs manuals which I wrote with researchers at NTID in 1979. And I will
attach a screen capture from those books soon.

So to summarize "two hands moving as one unit" meant "overlapping paths” in
my mind, because in these diagrams they are truly on the same path. White
and black are blending to become gray in the diagrams. I started to use the
term "overlapping paths" to emphasize this idea, and I consider that the
same rule. As you will see in the NTID manuals which I am scanning now to
post.

But there needs to be other rules too now, that are more flexible, because I
too have noticed that there are times when we use the general arrowhead in a
different way so I do agree that new rules do need to be established. More
soon.

Val ;-)

--------

Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org