[Sw-l] SignWriting Video Transcription Library

Thu Jan 6 18:12:10 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
January 6, 2022

SignWriting Video Transcription Library
https://www.signwriting.org/library/transcription

This new directory is just being created. It is in its infancy. There are actually 100s of video transcriptions in SignWriting, in many sign languages, and it is my dream than someday we will have a full listing of every new transcription that occurs daily, from any country. I hope someday that all of you can post directly to post your transcription work for others to read, not only in SignPuddle, as you can do right now, but also in other directories on the internet.

Right now, I started a very small listing of some ASL video transcriptions. The three I chose are old, and you can see by the video quality that our world has changed. Today we are used to good video quality, but nonetheless, these three videos are still valuable as excellent records of ASL storytelling and information.

All three were transcribed in SignPuddle Online. When you go to a title in the directory, click on the SignWriting Transcription title above the video, and you will go to the actual sign-by-sign transcription, with many on-going pages, in SignPuddle Online. Each page includes the video clip of the transcription of that one sentence in SignPuddle, and there are arrows in SignPuddle that take you to the next sentences.

There are also PDF documents for each transcript.

There is so much more that will be done in the future. We will add transcriptions from all the sign languages we know of, and we will ask all of you to help us carve a useful directory that will create a true Library of Video Transcription.

One side note (smile). I do web design without any training. DreamWeaver handed me a Bootstrap template, to learn how to do “responsive” web pages, which I have never done before, and this new Library Directory, at the moment, is in bootstrap and it works well on a phone, but on computers I do not know what you will be seeing…oh well…I will learn slowly what works for everyone.

In time I think others need to help to establish such a Library of SignWriting Video Transcription on a very stable and long-lasting platform, perhaps designed by younger more talented programmers who can provide the world with the documents needed.

Your feedback and ideas are very welcome! You all are so wonderful - your work is changing the world.

sutton at signwiting.org