[Sw-l] Digitizing SignWriting DOS Keyboards

Tue Jan 11 16:00:55 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
January 11, 2022

Hello SignWriting List, and Amit!

Thank you for posting this message, Amit, asking for volunteers to write the symbols of the SignWriter DOS Fingerspelling Keyboards in FSW.

For those signwriters who do not know, what is FSW? When you write a sign in SignPuddle Online or in SignMaker, each sign saved there, can be formatted in FSW (Formal SignWriting) or SWU (SignWriting Unicode). Those are two software formats available.

So if you write each symbol of your fingerspelling for your country, in SignPuddle Online or SignMaker, each as a separate entry, then each symbol is available in FSW.

So to do this work, you will need to first find the SignWriter DOS keyboard design for your country here:

SignWriter DOS Fingerspelling Keyboard Designs:
https://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/fingkeys/fkey001.html

Then, go to your country’s files in SignPuddle Online or SignMaker.

SignPuddle Online
https://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index.html#signpuddle2.0

SignMaker 2017 or 2022
https://www.signbank.org/signmaker.html

Then, in your country’s dictionary file, do the following:

1. Search to be sure that the symbols are not entered already by someone else!
2. Add any that are not entered already.
3. Then post to the SignWriting List, telling us that your country is finished.

Thank you for considering to volunteer...

I believe there are at least 6 countries done, or almost done already… but you will have to search for each symbol to be sure...

Please post to the SW List with questions and tell us when you are done with your country …

Thank you to all the signwriters, and to all the software developers, to make all this possible...

Val ;-)