[Sw-l] Japanese Translation for Signwriting? (Also, an Introduction)

Mon Jan 31 03:40:37 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
January 30, 2022

Hello SignWriting List…and Rio -
The name Rio is easier to type on English keyboards!

And thank you, Rio, for all your messages. I will try to combine all my answers here. I will be offline for the next 2 days because of meetings. I will be back Wednesday.

You certainly have been kind in your enthusiasm. It is good to know that the books that Adam and I worked on have been useful to you.  Did you know that it took Adam years to photograph his own hands? All of those hand photos are his own hands, and that is hard to do! The photos, where he is wearing green, were taken by me in my home. Some of them, that are used to show depth in space, were taken on my staircase. Surprising what can be done when a project is low budget ;-)

There are lots of photos of Adam on the web in recent times - for example - the front page of SignWriting.org - we have a video to welcome visitors and Adam and Garrett are in that video - thank you for the video, Adam ;-)

So now, on to your comparison below to other writing systems -  Thank you for your kind words. I feel gratitude to everyone who makes this possible. Without all the SignWriters and the linguists and teachers and software developers, SignWriting would be nowhere. So I am so grateful to everyone who chooses to learn SignWriting and work with it and help it improve day by day. Thank you everyone!

The SignWriting script has been compared to Hangul before - some linguists call both writing systems “featural” - I have not studied Hangul to know if the comparison is a good one or not…but it is an honor to be compared in that way…

And maybe your work will someday be a legend too! Everyone has the potential of achieving great things, and because of the internet we can share today in a way that the old creators could not. Most died not knowing if anybody use their work. This is true for artists too.

Maybe we are all watched by angels while we work. I like to believe that ;-)

Because of the internet, you were able to search for SignWriting and find it faster. When I was younger, we did not get information that fast, and the internet has made a big difference. I hope to live another 30 years - there is a lot we can accomplish!

Steve introduced me to Gitter chat. Thank you Steve for Gitter chat! ;-)

I didn't realize that JSL influenced KSL, but I'm not surprised because the two countries are fairly close to each other, and oftentimes teachers work between countries and sign languages therefore influence each other. By the way there are several members on this list from Japan.

I will also reach out to the Korean Sign Language translator to see if we can communicate about some of the terminology.

I hope you can communicate with the Japanese contacts that Adam gave you. As you know their video is on

SignWriting in Japan
https://www.signwriting.org/japan

and is also on Facebook. We have two pages for SignWriting on Facebook. Did you know that? Everyone is welcome to join.  Here are the links:

SignWriting on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuttonSignWriting

Val’s Page ;-)
https://www.facebook.com/SignWriting/