[Sw-l] Dr. Jody Cripps's Virtual Keynote Address Re Signed Music - Group A

Fri Mar 4 17:22:28 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
March 4, 2022

Hello SignWriting List!

Thank you, to Dr. Jody Cripps, Assistant Professor of American Sign Language in the Department of Languages at Clemson University in South Carolina, for sending us information about this event.

Dr. Jody Cripps / A Journey in Understanding Signed Music
March 22, 2022
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Vitual on Zoom

https://cuag.ca/event/disruptions-08-dr-jody-cripps-a-journey-in-understanding-signed-music/

Dr. Cripps conducted groundbreaking ethnomusicological research in Canada on the creative process and production of a signed music showcase titled THE BLACK DRUM, funded by the Canada Council for the Arts via the Canadian Cultural Society of the Deaf. This first-of-its-kind musical incorporated Cripps’s signed music theories. It was selected as one of ten acts from more than 100 countries featured in a showcase at Clin d’Oeil Festival in Reims, France, in 2019.

On March 22, 2022, Dr. Cripps will deliver a multimedia presentation on the state of the art associated with Signed Music, drawing on his experience as an academician and performer. Signed Music is an inter-performative art form that has become a new force in the deaf community in recent years.

Challenging the common view that deaf people do not enjoy music due to their disability, Cripps will review works that are musical as expressed through hands and movement, and pleasing to the eyes.

Thank you for telling us about this event!

Val ;-)