[Sw-l] Six SignWriting Topics, Topic 5, Writing Torso & Body Movement

Wed Nov 16 16:05:58 UTC 2022

SignWriting List,
November 16, 2022

Hello Professor Rubens and SignWriting List members.

Thank you for your email below.

Writing torso and body movement is most commonly written when we are transcribing videos of sign language storytelling and poetry. I'm very interested in doing more of this kind of work with all of you.

Because writing storytelling from video takes advanced knowledge of the movement writing system it has not been focused on enough, but it needs to be focused on now because this is the time for us to start collaborating on spreading SignWriting more around the world.

So I'm grateful for your participation and thank you and I plan to answer all your questions. They are wonderful questions and all important.

Right now to answer your questions, Professor Rubens, about torso and body movement, I have attached a PDF just showing the symbols. To explain, before the International SignWriting Alphabet 2010 (ISWA 2010), we had an International Movement Writing Alphabet in 2004 I believe. It was called the IMWA instead of the ISWA because we included symbols for writing dance and body gestures. Some of those symbols had to be taken away later to create the ISWA, so that we could be placed into Unicode. There were just too many symbols, and most people were not writing mime and gesture and storytelling at that time so it was the understandable decision to reduce the number of symbols to create an ISWA. That meant that not all symbols that we used to write storytelling are in the current ISWA 2010.

So you have to build these symbols, but we do have all of the pieces for the torso and body movements in the ISWA 2010, which is in SignPuddle and SignMaker. We have to “construct” them, like we have to do for the added Brazilian handshapes that you so badly need too.

Expanding the ISWA 2010 to include more symbols is another issue, but at least we can construct them right now with pieces.

Please see the attached PDF that simply shows you the spine symbols in a PDF. The Spine Line is a vertical line that is between the Shoulders and Hips. It can be written with or without the shoulders and you will know it's a spine line because it has little notches on the vertical line that show where the movement is taking place.

Attached is a PDF of the symbols which we have to construct, and let me show you next message how I would construct them…

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu

Name: Torso & Spine Movement.pdf