[Sw-l] SignWriting development update

Sat Apr 15 15:33:12 UTC 2023

Hi SignWriting List,

I had a great insite today and I'm excited about the upcoming
SignWriting developments.

For over two years, I've worked with the University of Iowa as a data
manager for multiple labs with neuroimaging and  psychometric projects.
Two months ago, I had a breakthrough with web development and the Globus
API.  I've create two of five major applications. Full speed ahead.
Today, I realized the same type of system would be great for SignWriting.

I've always believed in synergy.  The design systems I've used for
SIgnWriting have helped me with the University work.  Now, the
University work can help me with the SignWriting work.  And with the
Sutton SignWriting Web Components, I only had to add two lines of code
to the index.html page to support SignWriting.

Instead of labs at the university, we'll have workgroups for
SignWriting.  Instead of projects at the university, we'll have
collections for SignWriting.

I've requested a free standard license from Globus for SignWriting. They
support non-profit research and education, we'll see what they say.  If
I need to pay for the license, we'll see what they quote.

There will be four major sections to the new infrastructure.

== Portal ==
The portal allows access to workgroups and collections for the general
public and anonymous user.  The public can view our writing.  They can
make request for access and changes.

== Dashboard ==
The dashboard requires a login.  It is for members of workgroups to work
and review activity.  They can either approve or reject requests.

== Datasets ==
The various collections can be packaged with additional information to
create versioned datasets.

== Queue ==
The queue will be running on the SignWriting Flagship server.  It will
handle requests and make changes to the data.

I'm currently working on the portal.  The new version of the website
will be available soon.
* http://www.sutton-signwriting.io

After I hear back from Globus, I will be able to start on the dashboard
and the queue.  I already have a framework from my University work.

After I get enough of the dashboard and queue finished, I'll start
converting and refactoring the SignPuddle 2 data.

If everything goes according to plan, we should be editing dictionaries
and writing documents before the end of the year.  It may be a lot
sooner than that!

Regards,
-Steve

https://steve.signwriting.org