[Sw-l] SignWriting Dictionaries Around The World

Thu Jan 19 20:48:33 UTC 2023

Hello SignWriting List members!
I have been going over multiple scans of old documents that go back 20 or
30 years, some of them 50 years! Yes, I have to admit, I am getting old
(smile). I am so fortunate to have worked with such wonderful skilled
writers over so many years and I thank all of you for your contributions.

I see my job now, as a retired 72-year-old, to make sure that all of the
old documents are scanned and posted on the internet for history. I hope
they will inspire future generations to write your sign languages, and
gestures and mime, and to bring the concept of writing body movement,
dance, and sign languages to the world.

We are indeed fortunate to have the internet! I will be building several
Internet Archive areas, with the help of many of you, and posting these old
documents, for anyone to freely download and use.

For right now, I am going over  scanned dictionaries from the 1980's -
early 2000s, with the development of SignWriter Apple//e and Apple//c and
SignWriter DOS, developed by Richard Gleaves, and then later we had a
SignBank Database, developed by Todd Duell,  before I met Steve Slevinski
and we began to work on SignPuddle. So in the early days there were quite a
number of dictionaries, but they were mostly printed on paper on laser
printers. This was before there were many PDFs. Most everything was printed
on white paper on a laser printer...But some of those dictionaries now have
to be scanned from the white laser printing into PDFs. A big but important
job.

So I am doing my best to inform you of these documents, one by one, as I
post them on SignWriting.org/dictionaries. Most of them are ASL, but some
are from Mexico and Brazil and Spain. It is going to take me time. And
then, when I have a good listing posted, Rich is going to help me post them
on the Internet Archive too - so this is a fun project!

Here is the one I posted today - From the SignBank Database:

Scanned ASL Dictionaries from print-outs
https://www.signwriting.org/dictionaries/ASL.html

Have a great day!

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: