[Sw-l] Question about writing with Handshape from different perspectives

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Sat Oct 14 16:27:12 UTC 2023

SignWriting List
October 14, 2023

Hello Rubens, AnnaGrace, Adam and SignWriting List Members...

I agree with all three of your messages on this thread. Thank you, Rubens, for creating such a clear and informative video:

https://youtu.be/khEbbOUk2-c

I agree with AnnaGrace that your videos are so beautiful and I too would love to learn how you create such good looking and instructive videos. You must have quite a library of videos by now that teach SignWriting. Thank you for these.

And just as Adam has already explained so clearly, although it is true that it generally is better to use the same perspective within the writing of a sign, there are times when it is clearer to use two perspectives, as Adam illustrated. Sometimes the thumb, for example, can get in the way… to make sure the writing is clear, SignWriting offers the writer a choice of perspectives… In the beginning we were concerned that this could be confusing but as far as we can tell, it is not confusing - in fact, the flexibility of the writing system is one of the reasons it is used on a daily bases around the world…

So your video shows it beautifully. It is best to try to use the same perspective, but when that is not practical, you are welcome to mix perspectives.

As far as a textbook or instruction place on the web that explains this - hmmmm - I will look at our books. I think we do need to improve our instruction so I will get back to you if I find something.

Also, different perspectives when writing also are mixed in regards to Overhead View, Side View, and so forth… There was a recent message from Josenilson asking about this very topic - writing from the Side View

Thank you for your messages!

Name: Valerie_Signature_5.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

sutton at signwiting.org