Web of Words

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Mon Nov 12 14:57:54 UTC 2001

Dear Uralists,

forwarded, an announcement of the EBLUL "Web of Words" site dedicated to the
"regional and minority languages of Europe" [= EU?]. Please
- forgive this cross-posting, once again
- feel free to visit the site and express your opinion, either on this list
or directly to the EBLUL people, on the - in my opinion, that is - somewhat
amateurish quality of the site. The texts are written in unrevised English
(such as we all use ;-) ), and at least some of them are clearly not written
by professional linguists. (The idea of the Finnish local cases - inessive,
elative, ablative, allative - "developing into one" locative case in Sámi,
for example, was novel to me...) The database seems very uneven - obviously
the site is still "very much under construction". In all, the impression one
gets about the resources the European Commission is willing to allocate for
the regional and minority languages is not very favourable.

More comments?

Best,

Johanna

--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Institut für Finno-Ugristik der Universität Wien