About the estimates of divergence times of Uralic languages

Santeri santeri.junttila at helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 28 20:38:27 UTC 2010

Please keep in mind that a language split is a lengthy process, that
cannot be given a single date. The oldest phonetic isoglosse traceable
with the historical comparative method doesn't mean neither a rupture
in the mutual comprehensibility of the protolanguage nor a division of
the community speaking it. It must not be interpreted as the point of
divergence of the protolanguage, though this is just what most
Uralicists and Indo-Europeanist do. Instead, it means only the first
traceable split in the proto-dialect. If we define a language as a
bunch of mutually comprehensible dialects, the split of a
protolanguage must be defined as a process of increasing
incomprehensibility. This means, in the normal case, not as much
phonetic as lexical divergence. Lexical divergence, in turn, is mostly
caused by language contact.

To sum up: splits of protolanguages should be searched in periods of
intensive language contacts, but they can't be given an exact date.

Best wishes
  Santeri Junttila

Lainaus "Terhi Honkola" <terhi.honkola at utu.fi>:

[Piilota lainattu teksti]

Hello everyone,

I´m a PhD student in a research group called BEDLAN (Biological
Evolution and the
Diversification of Languages) where we analyse linguistic data with
biological methods.
For further information see  http://kielievoluutio.uta.fi.

The reason why I approach to you, the members of URA-LIST, now is that
I have done
lately timing analyses to the Uralic languages. An essential part in
those analyses is
the correct estimation of the calibration points. I  have already gone
through different
sources (i.e. Sinor 1988, Abondolo 1998, Kallio 2006) where divergence
times of
languages have earlier been estimated and by now I have used the
following calibration
points:
*Early Proto-Finnic: 2500 YBP (years before present) ± 500 years
*Obugric 1700 YBP ± 200 years
*Permic 1300 YBP ± 100 years

Do you think that these calibration points with these error scales are
appropriate or
would you suggest us to use some other calibration points?

I ask this as I believe research is done around this topic all the
time and now I would
like to hear your newest results about the divergence times of Uralic
languages to see
if, for example, the error scales of the timings could be narrowed. I
was also hoping
you could give me names of articles which I could read around this topic.

I would appreciate your answers very much.

With kind regards,

Terhi Honkola

Terhi Honkola
PhD student
Section of Ecology, Department of Biology
University of Turku
FIN-20014 TURKU
Finland

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address