Verbs of existence

James Gair jwg2 at CORNELL.EDU
Mon May 2 15:59:08 UTC 2005

Dear Prashant Pardeshi:

Sinhala certainly does have that distinction: tiyenawaa is inanimate,
innawaa is animate. This follows the basic nominal gender distinction
in (spoken) Sinhala, which is animacy. You can find this in several
places, including all of the basic textbooks, but  I quote here the
section from the monograph by me and John Paolillo (å is schwa, © is
velar nasal; the original font does of course not come through in
e-mail).(James W. Gair and John Paolillo Sinhala Languages of the
World/ materials 345, Lincom Europa. 1997).

There are also distinct existential verbs for inanimate and animate
subjects: innåwa for animate, tiyenåwa for inanimate, as indicated in
(1) and (2).

(1)     ehee  pot      tiyenåwa.
        there books  be (INANIMATE)-PRES
        'There are books there.'

(2)     la©kaawe   ali            innåwa.
        Sri-Lanka  elephants be (ANIMATE)-PRES
        'There are elephants in Sri Lanka.'

Note that the animate existential is used for collectives, e.g.,
poliisiyå 'police', which are otherwise grammatically inanimate nouns.
Such nouns commonly appear in the instrumental case when they are the
subject of the sentence, as in (3), whether the verb is 'be' or any
other (§3.3.1).

(3)     ehee  poliisiye©              innåwa.
        there   police-DEF-INST be (ANIMATE)-PRES
        'There are police there.'.

Literary Sinhala makes the same distinction in verbs, but the gender
distinction for nominals is different. The Literary verb forms are
siTinawaa and tibenawaa. and there is are also a verb aeta, which
occurs with both animates and inanimates.

Hal Schiffman is of course correct on Tamil and the other Dravidian
languages, but I might add that the distinction in the negatives is
maintained in Sri Lanka (Jaffna) Tamil, as it is in Kannada, with illay
existential and alla identity or focus negation.

The situation in Dhivehi  (Maldivian), the nearest Indo-Aryan relative
of Sinhala, is really complicated, and cannot be briefly summarized
here. It involves not only animacy, but gender (positional/spacial
orientation. and type of object. Furthermore, it varies with dialect.
There is a description in Bruce Cain and James W. Gair Dhivehi .
Languages of the World/Materials 63, Lincom Europa, pp.28-30. Also
there is a brief description of the special morphological
characteristics of the forms in Sonia Fritz, The Dhivehi Language (
Beiträge zur Südasianforschung Südasian Institut Universität
Heidelberg), . Ergon Verlag. 2002.Vol.1 242-243.

I hope this helps.

James W. Gair