Zero converb ("conjunctive participle") marking in IA

John Peterson jpeterso at UNI-OSNABRUECK.DE
Fri Jan 16 14:26:52 UTC 2009

Hello!

I was hoping that someone on the list might know of literature on
statistical figures (from as many registers and styles as possible) or at
least general discussions on the "omission", "deletion" or "zero marking"
of the converb / conjunctive participle marker in Indo-Aryan languages
(such as Hindi -kar/-ke) in actual speech/writing, i.e., not in
prescriptive works but rather in actual texts.

I'm aware that many grammars include comments saying that these markers
may be "dropped" etc. in various languages, but I was wondering if there
is any data out there on how often this form is unmarked in actual use.
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
John

--
John Peterson