question about Proto/Para-Munda affix -usha

Richa Pauranik Clements pauranik at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Feb 22 16:11:09 UTC 2010

Dr. Witzel,

As a follow up question, may I ask whether the Skt. word 'purusha' (as
in RV 10.90) is well-understood to have IE/IIr/IA elements?  Or, are
there any questions along the lines of 'Emusha', that is, may 'Purusha'
myth also have some Para-Munda or Proto-Dravidian elements?
Monier-Williams in his SED says, teh word 'purusha' is "probably from
the root 'prI'," so are the origins of this word 'purusha' clear yet?

My questions have to do with the Narayana myth and its relation to
Purusha in the Vedic texts.  In one of your articles (Aryan and
non-Aryan Names: Data for the linguistc situation, c. 1900-500 BC), you
also mention that words beginning with 'nAr-' may have unclear IA
etymology.  Would that be applicable to 'nArAyana' as well?

I woudl greatly appreciate your advice on this matter.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Richa Clements