World Wide Words -- Survey 10 Mar 99

Michael B Quinion michael at QUINION.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Mar 10 14:07:51 UTC 1999

WORLD WIDE WORDS   SPECIAL SURVEY ISSUE    Wednesday 10 March 1999
>From Michael Quinion                        Thornbury, Bristol, UK

The subscriber list to World Wide Words has increased by about a
third since the beginning of 1999. It would be valuable to know
more about you all and what you want from World Wide Words.

To start with, it would help me plan future issues if I knew more
about where subscribers are based. In many cases, this is obvious
from the last two digits of your e-mail address (IN for India, AU
for Australia, and so on). But many systems have addresses with
the .COM suffix, even though a large proportion of subscribers are
outside the US (examples are AOL and Compuserve). Many of you use
mail redirection services like Hotmail that have a similar effect
in disguising origins. As an example, World Wide Words seems only
to have about 200 UK subscribers, which is probably far short of
the true number, but I've no way of telling.

So I'd be grateful for a moment of your time to complete this very
brief survey and return it to me at <survey at quinion.com> (hitting
the reply button on your mailer ought to bring that address up,
but please check before sending it off!). Feel free to write as
little or as much as you like.

Any information you give will be regarded as confidential to me.

Many thanks,

 -- Michael Quinion.

[Save Internet bandwidth!  Only send back the bit below the line!]

1. Where are you based?  (Country and/or state only; your address
is not required!)

2. Does World Wide Words give you what you want, or are there
types of item or subjects that you would like to see included in
future issues?

3. Conversely, are there items or subjects that World Wide Words
now covers that you would prefer were excluded from future issues?

4. Are there things about World Wide Words that irritate you?

5. Are there things in World Wide Words that you would especially
not want to lose?