World Wide Words -- 21 Jul 07

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 20 17:43:47 UTC 2007

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 545          Saturday 21 July 2007
Sent each Saturday to at least 48,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

   A formatted and illustrated version of this newsletter is
 available online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/lgwn.htm

    TO LEAVE THE LIST OR TO CHANGE YOUR SUBSCRIBED ADDRESS,
     SEE THE INSTRUCTIONS NEAR THE END OF THIS NEWSLETTER.

THE WANDERER RETURNS  Thank you all for your patience during the
recent suspension of publication while my wife and I were dragged
half asleep and gently complaining from one Canadian high spot to
another. We vowed eventually never again to go on any holiday that
required us to get up at 6am to be driven many miles to a place of
interest, no matter how enticing. But - thank you for asking - we
enjoyed the trip enormously. Normal service, however you define
that, is now restored. But I'm still way behind in reading my e-
mail!

2. Weird Words: Balductum
A farrago(*) of words; trash, balderdash(*).

The link in meaning and form between "balderdash" and "balductum"
is close enough that some writers have tentatively suggested that
the former derives from or was influenced in its creation by the
latter.

Both started life having food implications, with "balderdash" being
a jumbled mixture of liquids, such as milk and beer. "Balductum"
was a type of posset(*), hot milk curdled with ale or wine. But
while we have no clear idea where "balderdash" comes from (the
supposed link between the two words not being supported by the
experts these days), we do know that "balductum" is from Latin
"balducta", the curds of milk.

"Balductum" took on its derived and derogatory sense of worthless
speech around the time of Shakespeare, the better part of a century
before "balderdash" acquired the same overtones. But "balductum"
never gained the popularity of "balderdash" and seems to have gone
out of use in the seventeenth century.

* You may also like to read:
Balderdash:  http://wwwords.org?BALD
Farrago:     http://wwwords.org?FARR
Posset:      http://wwwords.org?POSS

3. Q&A: Restive versus restless
Q. I said to my wife this morning: "I had a restive night". We went
on to talk about the difference between restive and restless, until
I finally looked both words up in the Shorter Oxford Dictionary. I
was surprised and faintly appalled to find that I had apparently
been using the word quite wrongly all my life. It makes much more
sense for the word to mean "unwilling to move". Is it only me who
uses the word in the sense of restless, or has this quite incorrect
meaning usurped the original one? [Will Mason, Austria]

A. "Restive" is one of those interesting words that has completely
reversed its sense during its history in English. These days, we
use it in the way you automatically did, for being unable to stay
still. But for several centuries, it meant the opposite: inactive
or inert, more resting than restless.

The politician Sir Edwin Sandys wrote in 1599 about the "perpetual
quiet" of "heavy and restive bodies"; 100 years later, the surgeon
and buccaneer Lionel Wafer recorded in A New Voyage and Description
of the Isthmus of America a note about some natives of the area:
"Notwithstanding their being thus sluggish, and dull, and restive
in the day-time, yet when moon-shiny nights come, they are all life
and activity". This meaning is obsolete, marked in the Shorter
Oxford with the date range "L16-M19", meaning that it was in use
from the late sixteenth to the mid-nineteenth centuries.

"Restive" arrived in the fifteenth century from the French word now
spelled "rétif", ultimately from Latin "restare", to rest. In its
first incarnation it was spelled "restiff" and meant a horse that
resisted control and in particular refused to move forwards when
commanded. "Restiff" remained in the language until the nineteenth
century. At the very end of the sixteenth century a variant form
evolved from it in the modern spelling of "restive", with a sense
of being still or sluggish. This spelling and sense likewise stayed
in the language into the nineteenth century. To confuse matters, by
the middle of the seventeenth century, "restive" had borrowed the
main sense of "restiff", a stubborn refusal of a horse to do what
it was told.

During the latter part of the nineteenth century, the skittishness
and wild movements that often resulted from the refusal of a horse
to obey caused "restive" to acquire the new meaning "fidgety" or
"impatient". This has become our dominant one today.

"Restive" has muscled in on the territory of "restless", both of
them suggesting a physical manifestation of internal unease, but
for different reasons. Behind "restive" lie impatience, irritation,
dissatisfaction, or boredom (J B Priestley wrote in 1929 in The
Good Companions: "The audience was growing restive; there was some
stamping of feet at the back"). A thesaurus will put "restive" with
"insubordinate", "recalcitrant" and "unmanageable" (reflecting the
older sense of an uncooperative horse) as well as "fidgety" and
"impatient". "Restless", on the other hand, usually implies anxiety
and you can often replace it by "edgy", "nervous", "agitated" or
"tense". To have a restless night implies that you can't sleep
because you are turning over some problem in your mind or or are
suffering some physical discomfort.

American writers started to complain about the new "impatient" and
"fidgety" senses of "restive" around 1870 ("restive" had appeared
in Webster's Dictionary in 1864 with the definition "impatient;
uneasy"). However, the first edition of the OED, whose entry was
written about 1908, doesn't include this sense, so it looks as
though our modern meaning is American in origin and only slowly
became known in other countries. Many writers have tried to defend
the older sense of "restive" against the newer one and to try to
maintain a distinction between it and "restless". Sir Earnest