World Wide Words -- 03 Jan 09

Fri Jan 2 19:48:14 UTC 2009

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 620          Saturday 3 January 2009
            matters unless you are having problems.

       A formatted version of this newsletter is available
       online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/ncnk.htm

       This newsletter is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

ROUND THE TWIST  Several subscribers queried this expression, used
here by a correspondent two weeks ago. It's British and Australian,
meaning eccentric, mad or crazy. It came into the language some 50
years ago as a variation on "round the bend"; it's first recorded
in a play by Danny Abse of 1960: "I knew he was barmy. I knew that
man was round the twist, sayin' things like that."

SIC(K)!  The many subscribers who were concerned about the absence
of the Sic! section from the past two issues will be reassured by
its reappearance in this one. It was just a temporary malaise.

2. Turns of Phrase: Mari-fuel
So far as online records show, this word burst upon the world for
the first time on 17 December 2008, in a press release announcing
that European Union funding of EUR6m (£5m or $8.5m) had been won
for the BioMara project. This is a cross-border project involving
researchers from Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of
Ireland. The aim is to find ways to convert seaweeds and marine
algae into fuels. One hope is that it will help rural communities
in these countries, who may be able to use fast-growing seaweeds
such as kelp to make a locally produced and cheap fuel that won't
take up valuable agricultural land. "Mari-fuel" is an obvious
parallel to the better-known "agri-fuel", for fuels derived from
agricultural products.

* Daily Telegraph, 18 Dec. 2008: The development of mari-fuels
could have a lasting impact on remote and rural communities by
providing locally produced, relatively cheap, low impact fuel as
well as serving the local public transport infrastructure.

* Guardian, 18 Dec. 2008: Motorists may soon be driving cars