World Wide Words -- 01 Aug 09

Fri Jul 31 15:48:28 UTC 2009

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 650          Saturday 1 August 2009
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

FACEBOOK  I've joined the twenty-first century and become a member
of Facebook. Friends welcome!

TOAD-IN-THE-HOLE Hillary Goldsmith remembers a different usage of
this term I discussed last time, which, however, tends to confirm
its derivation: "Back in South Africa in my childhood a 'toad-in-
the-hole' referred to a slice of bread with the centre cut out.
This was fried in butter and an egg placed in the hole and also
fried. This breakfast treat was most popular amongst the kids of
the 60s and 70s." Pat Gooley, who lives in the US, has heard this
usage in Oregon, California and Virginia; Joseph Quinton found it
under that name in a cookbook of the NW Philadelphia Interfaith
Hospitality Network. Australians know it, too, James Perkins and
Phoebe Ling informed me, the latter adding that it's "popular at
morning barbecues".

I said I was suspicious of Captain Francis Grose's description of
it in his Provincial Glossary of 1787 as "meat boiled in a crust".
Jonathon Green, editor of Chambers Dictionary of Slang, gently
remonstrated: "I think you impugn the great Captain's culinary
sophistication. One need but look at his portrait to see that here
was a major-league foodie who would have known boiled from baked
any time. He was a trencherman of renown. More seriously, I refer
you to the English Dialect Dictionary, one definition in which is
'a small suet pudding cooked and served in broth'. That would seem
to fit the Captain's menu?" True, and I should have checked the EDD
(too many sources, too little time ...) but it's the second
definition in the entry, the first being "a dish consisting of meat
baked or fried in batter", which is nearer the conventional view.

TITIVIL Scott Langill and Barbara Berger pointed out that medieval
scribes ascribed to Titivillus the jogging of elbows and skipping
of pens that caused blots, false strokes, and ink smears when
copying manuscripts. Scott Langill added that his picture is in the
marginal decorations of a number of old manuscripts. Patrick Martin
and several other readers mentioned a story by Michael Ayrton,
Tittivulus or The Verbiage Collector, an account of the efforts of
an obscure devil to collect idle words, which is also a satire on
bureaucracy: "Tittivulus starts as a minor fiend paddling
contentedly in the Styx and ends as the leader of a Stalinist coup
to take over Hell itself."

OUT LIKE LOTTIE'S EYE Kristin O'Keefe found this story about the
origin of the expression in the Dallas Morning News of 11 January
1935: "Lottie Patterson was the lady's name and she was a sister of
Billy Patterson. And when the famous assault on Billy Patterson was
made, by an unknown assailant, Lottie came to the defense of her
brother and got one of her pretty Irish eyes poked out." The story
goes on to say that Billy was then the bouncer at a primitive night
club, but was later elected to the Legislature. Perhaps a reader
versed in Texas political history might be able to identify him.
But "who struck Billy Patterson?" or "who gave Billy Patterson the
blow?" were well-known joking enquiries in the US in the nineteenth
century, supposedly originating in Boston and meaning "who did it?
who was the guilty party?". One example is in a syndicated election
report in the Galveston News of 12 November 1873: "They are pretty
well agreed that the Republicans have been badly beaten, but
dispute as to who it was that gave Billy Patterson the blow." I
suspect that the Patterson in the Dallas Morning News story is
fictitious.

Robin Wilkinson, originally from Texas, recalls a fine variation on
the idiom, "Sometime in the 1990s, at a bridge game in Mississippi,
an inadequate dummy was tabled and declarer exclaimed, 'Well, we're
going down like Lottie's drawers!'"

2. Weird Words: Beghilos
Grab the nearest digital calculator. Enter the number 50714938. Now
look at the display upside down. With a little imagination, you may
see the word "beghilos". (The calculator, of course, has to have a
standard seven-segment display.) Calculators vary slightly in the
way they display numbers - some leave out the bottom bar on the
"9", which turns the word into "bebhilos". However, "beghilos" has
become a rather rare slangy term for what is more formally known as
calculator spelling. Nobody knows where it comes from or how old it
is, though I've found an example in a Usenet posting dated 1994.

Kids have been playing with the word-creating possibilities of
calculators since they started to appear in the 1970s. It didn't
take long to discover that "0.7734" upside down made "hEllO". One
of the earliest attested examples from this period is 5318008,
which when turned over spells "boobies". If your display is big
enough, you can enter 53177187714, which makes "hillbillies"; mine
has only ten digits so I get "illbillies" (sick goats?) and so the
longest word I can make is 378193771 (appropriately, "illegible").
Back in 1979, The Hollies issued an album with the title 5317704
(which makes Hollies). The trick is known from other countries; for
example in German 38317 spells "Liebe".

To be 37819173 to play this game in the 1970s, you had to be young,
geekish and slightly bored.

3. Elsewhere
The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, that the language you speak conditions
how you think, has long been controversial. An article in Newsweek
(http://wwwords.org?SWHE) reports experiments that provide evidence
for the hypothesis.

You may recall all the fuss a couple of years ago over the demotion
of Pluto from planetary status. Some astronomers are trying to get
the decision reversed, which will require textbook and dictionary
editors to yet again change their entries. See this recent New
Scientist article: http://wwwords.org?IPAP.

Jesse Sheidlower's book, The F-Word, about the rudest word in the
language, was published in 1995 and in a revised edition in 1999.
The updated and enlarged third edition is to be published in the US
in September: http://wwwords.org?SHFW.

Every four years, Pamela Munro, professor of linguistics at the
University of California, Los Angeles compiles a glossary of slang
based on research by undergraduates. This collection may be said to
be Obama, current student slang meaning cool. A brief report was in
the Los Angeles Times on 29 July: http://wwwords.org?UCSD. The work
(UCLA Slang 6) is available from UCLA: http://wwwords.org?UCSB.

4. Q and A: Crêpe hanger
Q. I had always assumed that we had to use the German Schadenfreude
because there was no English equivalent. I recently came across the
phrase "crepe hanger", in a question to the Q&A column in the Daily
Mail, which claimed that it meant Schadenfreude. Have you come
across it? If so, what on earth is its origin? [Andrew Purkiss]

A. The questioner his got his semantic knickers in a twist. The
phrase certainly exists, though it's hardly an everyday one. But it
has nothing in common with the German "Schadenfreude", which means
pleasure derived from another person's misfortune.

A "crêpe hanger" is the ultimate pessimist:

    "You Irish are in love with your sorrows. You are too
    damned depressing." "I am not in love with my sorrows!"
    "You're a f----- crepe hanger." "What is a crepe hanger?"
    "You see the world draped in black. Nobody's sorrows are
    worse than yours. You hang black crepe on everything."
    [The Immune Spirit, by Susan Ryan Jordan, 2001.
    Expletive deleted to let this issue pass through e-mail
    obscenity filters. See the online version (the link is at
    the top of this issue) for the unexpurgated text.]

My reference books variously say it's from the 1940s or the 1920s.
The earliest I've so far found is dated 1909 (from The Silver Hoard
by Rex Beach). It seems to have become common shortly after that
date. It has most often been spelled "crape hanger", or sometimes
"crapehanger" - especially in early examples - to reflect the way
that the word for the crinkled fabric was for centuries spelled in
English. (In more recent times, we have returned it more nearly to
its original French form by changing the "a" back to an "e"; in the
UK we now also frequently include the accent.)

It's forgivable that moderns who encounter it are puzzled by the
origin. Undertakers' assistants have long ago ceased to be literal
crêpe hangers, engaged to drape black crêpe across the windows and
mirrors of a house in which a person has died. Neighbours these
days no longer follow the old custom of hanging crêpe in their
windows as a mark of sympathy and respect. Nor is the customary
clothing of a grieving female relative now characterised by crêpe:

    As for periods of mourning, we are told that a widow's
    mourning should last eighteen months, although in England
    it is somewhat lightened in twelve. For the first six
    months the dress should be of crape cloth, or Henrietta
    cloth covered entirely with crape, collar and cuffs of
    white crape, a crape bonnet with a long crape veil, and a
    widow's cap of white crape if preferred.
    [Harper's Bazar: 17 Apr. 1886.]

It's intriguing that the rise in popularity of the idiom roughly
coincided with the date at which the extremes of mourning of the
nineteenth century were going out of fashion. Perhaps before then
it would have been regarded as inappropriate or even offensive.

Strictly, the term ought to mean "mourning", not "pessimism". It
might be that the meaning came about through the conventional
downcast face and lugubrious expression adopted by undertakers,
which made them look as though they were expecting the worst rather
than officiating at rituals to mark its already having happened.
More probably, it started life in the sense "kill-joy", which in
one way undertakers, mourning and funerals certainly are, and moved
on from there.

5. What I've recently learned
BABYDOLLS are a breed of miniature sheep, proving useful in a New
Zealand vineyard because they keep the grass short but aren't tall
enough to eat the grapes off the vines.

YUPPIEDROME is a caustic British nickname for a new-build flat (or
apartment), presumed shoddily constructed. Another nickname given
in the same article is "eurobox".

Some amphibians, such as the Alaska wood frog, are able to survive
being frozen during the winter, turning them into what some witty
scientist has termed FROGSICLES.

The succession of human sculptures, organised by Anthony Gormley as
a form of street theatre on the vacant fourth plinth in Trafalgar
Square in London, have become known as PLINTHERS and PLINTHIANS.

ADOLESCE, the back-formed verb from "adolescence", which looked new
to me when I found it in the Observer, is recorded at least as far
back as Tono-Bungay, the 1909 novel by H G Wells.

An AP headline on Tuesday raised Harvey Pogoriler's eyebrows: "Man
pleads not guilty in stolen violin case". He feels it must have
been rather cramped in there.

Joseph Burlingame was surprised by an oriental business practice,
implied by another syndicated AP report, which he found in the
Canton Repository (the Ohio one) on 26 July: "Some 30,000 Chinese
steelworkers clashed with police in a protest over plans to merge
their mill with another company and beat the company's general
manager to death." It appeared unchanged in the Annapolis Capital
the same day but the Sydney Morning Herald's subeditor was on the
ball and added the word "they" before "beat".

But the SMH isn't perfect, as John Lynch noted on its Web site on
Monday: "The 1988 Lockerbie plane bomber, who has prostate cancer,
wants to be freed from a Scottish jail where he is serving a life
sentence on compassionate grounds." The paper later changed it.

Better punctuation would sometimes help, as this sentence from an
article in Monday's Globe and Mail of Boston demonstrates: "Her
slim legs are crossed elegantly at the knee and at her neck, a
colourful scarf is arranged artfully over her shoulder." Tom Vogl
would like to see this contortionist in action.

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, which you can
read at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or Web sites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).