World Wide Words -- 16 Oct 10

Fri Oct 15 14:11:30 UTC 2010

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 708         Saturday 16 October 2010
Editor: Michael Quinion             US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org               ISSN 1470-1448

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/yhcj.htm

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

FIRST ENGLISH DICTIONARY OF SLANG  Fiona Fisher says, "Your comment
in the review that red-haired people were even in 1699 being called
'carrots' inspired me to write about Australian terms for redheads.
'Blue' was traditional (especially for males), but has now largely
been replaced by 'ranga' (rhymes with 'banger' or 'clanger'), which
is derived from 'orang-utan' for obvious reasons. It's usually a
non-offensive term, and may be applied to both males and females
with red hair." [My reference works don't give a good reason why
"blue" should have been adopted, but it may be from an Australian
tradition of giving people nicknames that are the opposite of their
real nature. Another theory suggests that nineteenth-century red-
haired Irish immigrants used to turn the air blue with their noisy
confrontations. Neither explanation is wholly satisfying.]

FATOOTSED  Mary Ellen Foley, a sharp-eyed reader, spotted that I
quoted Leo Rosten's definition of "fartootst" as "the state of
being bewildered, disorientated, discombobulated". But surely, she
argued, Leo Rosten would have written it in the American style as
"disoriented"? Indeed he did. On retyping it, my fingers changed it
into British English without telling me.

An article in the Chicago Tribune on Wednesday spotlighted this
little difference between English dialects. Steve Kleinedler, the
supervising editor of the American Heritage Dictionary, supplied
what the headline described as "5 quick fixes to help you sound
smarter". One tip was "Pay attention to how a word is spelled
before you pronounce it. 'Specialty' should never become speci-AL-
ity. 'Disoriented' should never become disorien-TAT-ed." Both
deprecated forms are common and unremarkable in British English.

Nelsen Spickard pointed me to an appearance of "fatootsed" in
William Safire's On Language column in the New York Times on 11
July 1993: "Connie Chung, following weeks of interviews about her
elevation to co-anchor with Dan Rather on The CBS Evening News,
gave her reaction to the ordeal to USA Today: "I'm fartumelt!
Fartootst! Farmisht!" (Quick gloss: "fartumelt" or "fertummelt"
means bewildered; "farmisht", utterly confused or flummoxed.)
Safire commented that the three Yiddish words are in increasing
order of emphasis and explained them, "for those without a copy of
Leo Rosten's Joys of Yiddish at hand". However, Rosten doesn't
include either of the other words, though he does have another that
Safire mentions: "farblondjet", from a Slavic word meaning to roam,
which means you are totally mixed-up, lost and wandering around
without any idea where you are.

2. Weird Words: Aposematic /ap at Usi:matik/
I came across the word in an article about Bristol Zoo, which has
set up an amphibian sanctuary to breed two endangered species. One
of them is the golden mantella frog native to Madagascar, which is
a brilliant golden-orange. The colours are aposematic, referring to
the bright markings or hues exhibited by some living creatures to
warn predators that they are poisonous. (The frog cheats: it isn't
toxic but the colours fool its enemies into thinking it is. Some
writers restrict "aposematic" to such false warnings.)

Though this is common enough in the biological sciences, it's not
often encountered elsewhere. Here's a rare example:

    A gigantic bird of prey was descending on him, its
    claws outstretched. Its aposematic wings were spread
    wide, as wide as the field itself. Looking up in shock,
    Hungaman saw how fanciful the wings were, fretted at the
    edges, iridescent, bright as a butterfly's wings and as
    gentle.
    [Aboard the Beatitude, by Brian W Aldiss, 2002.]

The word is from classical Greek, based on "sema", a sign, which
also appears in "polysemous", the coexistence of many possible
meanings for a word or phrase, and "semantic", relating to meaning
in language or logic. The prefix "apo-" means "away, off, from".

3. Wordface
OUT OF AFRICA  Wilf Nussey asked about a news report on 8 October
quoting the Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai: "To my
utter surprise, and shall I say disgust, Mr Mugabe advised me on
Monday that he had nichodemously reappointed the former governors
in the same manner in which he appointed the previous governors on
a Sunday when most of us were at church." His efforts to find more
on "nichodemously" were made difficult because most appearances are
better spelled NICODEMOUSLY. Even then, I can find no dictionary
that includes it. It's fairly well known in African English but
hardly at all elsewhere. It refers to something done secretly and
derives from the story of the Pharisee Nicodemus who appears in the
St John's gospel, the first time when he visits Jesus secretly one
night to listen to his teachings. The word is a good example of an
African English creation deeply influenced by the teachings of
Christian missionaries.

SPACE HOPPER  The New Scientist last week introduced me to a term
Australians mostly learned about in a series of news reports last
February: KANGATARIANISM (a blend of kangaroo and vegetarianism). A
KANGATARIAN (very rarely called a VEGEROO) eats no meat apart from
that of the kangaroo. Supporters regard it as an ecologically sound
choice, as kangaroos cannot be farmed (their meat acquires a taint
when they are restrained) and they require no additional land, feed
or water - the ultimate, it is argued, in free-range, organic meat.

WOOL GATHERING  It has been YARN BOMBING week in the UK, according
to the Guardian last Monday. Knitters tag lampposts with knitted
legwarmers, wrap public statues in scarves, hide the harsh outlines
of bicycles in cheerful wrappers and cover phone boxes in
multicoloured cosies. Other names, I am told, are GRAFFITI KNITTING
and YARN STORMING, this last term being preferred by those who
dislike the violent associations of the word "bomb". The idea of
decorating the urban landscape in colourful fabrics is said to have
been begun by Magda Sayeg of Texas in 2005. Unlike other forms of
graffiti, it's easy to remove, and it brightens up dull public
spaces.

4. Q and A: Sixpenny nails
Q. Why is the length of a nail indicated by a number of pennies? (I
don't know if this is the usage in the UK, but in the US nails are
always measured this way.) A 6d nail is 2 inches long, for example.
I have read that this is because, at one time, sixpence was the
price of a hundred 6d nails. [Richard Bell]

A. We did once use the same system in the UK - it was invented here
and taken to the US by colonists - but it died out early in the
twentieth century. Not only have we gone over to measuring nails by
length but we've adopted the metric system. So an American 6d nail
is a 50mm one. As in other matters, the US conservatively holds on
to things we've abandoned in Britain.

Many enquirers have found the story you quote to be unbelievable
and have sought others. One holds that nails were actually sold by
weight and that the measure was the pennyweight; the abbreviation
for a pennyweight was "dwt" (the "d" is from Latin "denarius", a
penny) and it is argued that this became shortened still further to
"d", which was the symbol for the British pre-decimalisation penny
coin, hence the confusion.

A second suggestion was put forward here and has been quoted since:

    The term penny, when used to mark the size of nails,
    is supposed to be a corruption of pound. Thus, a four-
    penny nail was such that 1000 of them weighed 4 lbs., a
    ten-penny such that 1000 weighed 10 lbs.
    [The American Cyclopaedia, edited by George Ripley and
    Charles Dana, 1875.]

With Ripley, you may believe it or not, but you had best not.
Neither the pound nor pennyweight stories are right. Yours is.

In the fifteenth century, nails were sold by number and, as an
example, fourpenny nails were indeed 4 pence for a hundred. This
was proved when in 1904 Henry Littlehales edited and published the
accounts of a church in the City of London (St Mary at Hill). This
showed that in 1426, 400 sixpenny nails did indeed cost 24 pence
and 300 tenpenny nails cost 30 pence. (You may like to compare
these prices with a nearby item which recorded that a man named
Elymesford and his mate were together paid 10 pence for a day's
work.) Other accounts show that nail prices fell around the end of
the 1400s and stayed lower - in the 1570s, you could have bought a
hundred fourpenny nails for just 3 pence.

However, the old names for the sizes were kept. Although they lost
their direct equivalence to the cost of the nails, they remained a
useful way of identifying the various sizes.

Father Eric Funston was as delighted as you might expect by having
recently seen that a cinema in Brunswick, Ohio, was advertising the
Julia Roberts movie as "Eat, Prey, Love".

The issue of 6 October of the Post Star of Glens Falls, New York,
had its usual Today In History item, in which Paul Brady learned
that in 1958, "The nuclear submarine USS Seawolf surfaced after
spending 60 days submerged in water."

The Chilean miners having been brought out safely, the point is now
moot but - Brian Barratt asked - should the BBC website really have
described its coverage of their plight as "in-depth"?

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2010. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).