World Wide Words -- 02 Apr 11

Fri Apr 1 16:35:06 UTC 2011

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 730          Saturday 2 April 2011
Editor: Michael Quinion             US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org               ISSN 1470-1448

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/dmyo.htm

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

LUSTRUM  Peter Ingerman and Andrew Fisher pointed out that in
writing about this word I had missed an opportunity for including
yet another weird word: "suovetaurilia". So far as I know only the
Chambers Dictionary includes this Latin mouthful, which is formed
from "sus", pig, "ovis", sheep, and "taurus", ox. It refers to the
sacrifice of a sheep, a pig and an ox at the lustrum ceremony.

I mentioned the Robert Harris novel entitled Lustrum. David Larkin
e-mailed from Cape Cod, "Except, of course, in the US, where Simon
& Schuster, in their never-ending battle to protect us from big
words, renamed the novel Conspirata, which isn't a word at all. I
assume their publicists felt it had more marketing, er, luster."

"'Lustrum' may be an odd ball on that side of the pond," wrote John
Fentner, "but us Yanks learned it from the movie Rooster Cogburn of
1975: 'Judge Parker: You have served this court for almost two
lustrums. Rooster Cogburn: What's a lustrum, Judge? Judge Parker:
Five years. Don't interrupt me.'" Tony McCoy O'Grady pointed out
that the word lingers in Catholic Church circles: "Archbishops and
bishops from around the world have to report to Rome (on the state
of things in their dioceses) every five years, and these trips are
known as lustral visits."

On "censor", Anne O'Brien Lloyd wrote from Saskatoon: "The teacher
responsible for discipline in a French school was known as Monsieur
le Censeur. Should the person responsible be a woman, she was known
as Madame le (not la) Censeur, because otherwise the kids would
turn her into a lift: Madame l'Ascenseur, and such disrespect was
at all costs to be avoided."

2. Weird Words: Tilly-vally
No language can ever have too many words with which its speakers
may deride an assertion as hogwash, codswallop, baloney, poppycock,
twaddle, cobblers, bosh, tosh or stuff and nonsense. "Tilly-vally"
is a member of this set, these days usefully obscure, so it may be
employed without too great a risk of dire consequences. It also has
the imprimatur of having been employed by our greatest playwright,
though in an older spelling:

    HOSTESS QUICKLY: Tilly-fally, Sir John, never tell me;
    your ancient swaggerer comes not to my doors.
    [Henry IV, Part Two, by William Shakespeare, 1597-8.
    He uses it again in Twelfth Night.]

It's fairly common in writings down to the nineteenth century, but
in recent times we have preferred more boisterous epithets with
which to express our disapprobation, letting it fall away with such
other derogatory expressions as the imitative "pshaw!".

Various forms are known, such as "tillie-vallie", "tilley-valley"
and "tillie-wallie" as well as "tilly-fally". The source is quite
remarkably obscure. Some older dictionaries insist it's Scots in
origin. Other authorities have claimed it was a hunting phrase
borrowed from the French (presumably connected with "tally-ho!") or
that it was a mere minor variation on "fiddle-faddle". Sir Walter
Scott had a character suggest that it derives from the Latin word
"titivillitium", a trifle or a trivial item of gossip. Modern
etymologists have wondered about a connection with "dilly-dally";
Anatoly Liberman commented in his Oxford Etymologist blog in 2007
that "The sound group 'dil', along with 'till-', suggests something
frivolous. It alludes to meandering and useless work."

    "So please your Ladyship, we do not think of marrying
    her as yet," returned Susan, in consternation. "Tilly
    vally, Susan Talbot, tell me not such folly as that. Why,
    the maid is over seventeen at the very least!"
    [Unknown to History, by Charlotte M Yonge, 1882.]

3. Wordface
V2G  This abbreviation is likely to be appearing more often in the
future. It's short for VEHICLE-TO-GRID and is being promoted as a
way to boost renewable energy sources. It's based on the fact that
electric vehicles all contain powerful storage batteries, which are
connected to a power supply for charging when the vehicles aren't
being used. V2G connects the batteries to the electricity grid and
exploits the energy stored in them to temporarily supplement the
electricity supply instead of, for example, firing up another power
station. The vehicle batteries would then be topped up using off-
peak power, perhaps from renewable resources such as wind turbines,
whose generated power would otherwise be going to waste. The term
and the concept have been promoted for at least the last decade but
are only now becoming more widely known as the number of electric
vehicles grows.

BANKRUPT  The word BROSHERING turned up in one of the late Ivor
Brown's books on language and led me down unfrequented pathways to
ancient public-school slang. I found it in only one other place,
Reminiscences of Eton by the Reverend Charles Allix Wilkinson of
1888, "'Appius', so-called, had been the head of a conspiracy for
'broshering' their dame, that was, eating her out of house and home
- eating and drinking everything that was on the table, and what
was sent up afterwards, and still always asking for more." (At Eton
College, a dame was a matron - in the language of the time this
meant a married woman, especially one of mature years - who kept a
boarding-house for boys at the school.) Doug Wilson of the American
Dialect Society suggested that it was the same word as "brosier"
and indeed in Farmer and Henley's Slang and its Analogues of 1890
"brosiering my dame" was described as Eton College slang in this
way: "At Eton, when a dame keeps an unusually bad table, the boys
agree together on a day to eat, pocket, or waste everything eatable
in the house. The censure is well understood, and the hint is
generally effective". Other sources note it was originally Cheshire
slang for a bankrupt and that an Eton boy who had spent all his
pocket money was said to be "brosiered". Such is the school slang
of yesteryear, of which there is nothing deader.

4. Q and A: Bounty hunter
Q. A friend has circulated an e-mail that suggests that the term
"bounty hunter" comes from the search for HMS Bounty, the famous
ship captained by William Bligh that mutinied in April 1789. It
also suggests that Captain Edward Edwards of HMS Pandora, who
captured ten of the mutineers on Tahiti, was the original bounty
hunter. What do you think? [Ray Hattingh, South Africa]

A. The facts of the story about Captain Edwards being sent out to
hunt down the mutineers and return them to England for trial are
correct. His mission was only partly successful. He did capture
some mutineers on Tahiti, but he failed to find the uncharted
Pitcairn Island, his ship was wrecked on Australia's Great Barrier
Reef and he and the surviving crew and mutineers were forced to
make a long voyage in open boats, much as Bligh had had to after
the mutiny. It's an extraordinary story but it has nothing whatever
to do with the term "bounty hunter".

Bligh's ship was named for the fruitfulness of nature or generosity
of God. Bounties were also cash rewards to encourage some activity.
For example, they were given to recruits on joining the army or
navy. The American colonies offered bounties from about the middle
of the eighteenth century for the scalps of American Indians and
for wanted criminals taken dead or alive. The following century, it
was common in the US to offer cash bounties for the pelts or scalps
of some unwanted or dangerous species of animal, such as bears,
wolves, skunks or coyotes.

After a Supreme Court ruling in 1872, individuals outside formal
law enforcement bodies could track down fugitives from bail to get
a reward, especially those that the law had trouble apprehending
because they'd skipped across county or state lines. Civilian
bounty hunters are still known in the US (the only country apart
from the Philippines that permits them); they go by names such as
bail enforcement agent or recovery agent. Most early bounty hunters
remained anonymous for very good reason. A very few were famous (or
infamous), such as Jack Duncan of Texas and Charlie Siringo of the
Pinkerton Agency. More recent fictional ones, such as Rooster
Cogburn of True Grit, were based on their stories.

When I began to look for the written evidence for the term, I was
surprised by what turned up - or more correctly by what didn't.
There's no evidence that the early real-life "bounty hunters" were
called that by their contemporaries. The term came late into the
language and the first examples are all references to hunters of
wild animals, not humans. This is the earliest I've found:

    Cheyenne _Leader_, 23rd: A trifle over $500 worth of
    warrants were issued at the court house yesterday in
    favor of bounty hunters. From 8 o'clock in the morning
    until the closing hour in the afternoon boys and men were
    continually visiting the county clerk's office with
    installments of gopher scalps, varying from the small
    boy's mite of fifty-two to the professional's
    contribution of 500.
    [Salt Lake Daily Tribune, 26 June 1887.]

A shift from a hunter of animals to a hunter-down of criminals is
easy to understand but you have to come a lot nearer the present
day to find examples. An ambiguous example dated 1930 is in the
Oxford English Dictionary's entry, but the first I've been able to
find that explicitly refer to the apprehension of humans are the
1954 film The Bounty Hunter, which starred Randolph Scott on the
track of three murdering train robbers, and Elmore Leonard's book
of the same title in the same year.

Even if Captain Edwards had been paid a bounty for capturing the
Bounty's mutineers - which he wasn't - he couldn't have been called
a bounty hunter. To apply the term to the pursuers of fugitives in
the late nineteenth-century US is equally anachronistic.

Peter Norton described the sentence in a Washington Post report on
23 March as "the higher mathematics": "The two planes that landed
without tower help were the last three inbound commercial flights
until 5 a.m., the source said."

This is from an item in the New York Times of 28 March, courtesy of
Belinda Hardman: "Researchers using brain imagining technology have
since found that foods high in sugar or fat activate the same
reward system as cocaine and other drugs."

On 25 March, Connie Schmitt tells us, The Capital of Annapolis,
Maryland, reported that "Veterinarian says diabetes is easy to
catch if you know the signs".

Gordon Schochet found a rather grisly headline in an article with
an Associated Press byline on FindLaw, dated 28 March, which I have
filed under "could have been better expressed": "Fla [Florida]
parents charged with killing daughter in court."

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2011. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).