World Wide Words -- 19 Nov 11

Fri Nov 18 14:02:29 UTC 2011

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 763         Saturday 19 November 2011
Author/editor: Michael Quinion       US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org                ISSN 1470-1448

     A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
     online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/ffwm.htm

       Now on Twitter: http://twitter.com/wwwordseditor

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font

SICCITY  Several readers noted the survival in medical terminology
of the Latin original of this word, "sicca". Eric Hoy wrote, "There
is sicca syndrome, in which patients have dry eyes and a dry mouth,
due to an autoimmune response that attacks the tear glands and the
salivary glands." There's also rhinitis sicca in which the mucous
membranes of the nose are abnormally dry. Beth Ayers added, "We also
occasionally see 'siccolabile' (altered or destroyed by drying) and
'siccostabile' (unaffected by drying). For those of us who speak the
esoteric version of English sometimes called Medicalese, 'sicca'
still rings a bell."

YEA AND NAY Jean Carpenter and others added to my French connection
of "si" as a contradiction of a negative by mentioning the German
"doch", used similarly. Remy Rosenbaum noted a formal survival of
both English words: "at least in American English, as a response to
a vote in Congress, the request for a roll call vote is known as the
'Yeas and Nays'." (In the British Parliament, it's ayes and noes.)

2. Weird Words: Thrasonical  /Tr@'sQnIk at l/
This should be put in the category of educated insults, since only
those who have swallowed the dictionary or know Latin literature
understand what it means. A thrasonical person is a braggart. The
original was a former soldier named Thraso, a character in the play
Eunuchus (The Eunuch), written in 161 BC and became the most popular
of the six by the writer whom we know as Terence.

"Thrasonical" began to appear in English in the sixteenth century,
in time for Shakespeare to put it into the mouth of Rosalind in As
you Like It. In it she describes Julius Caesar's famous assertion
"veni, vidi, vici" ("I came, I saw, I conquered") as a thrasonical
brag.

These days, its most frequent appearances are in a widely-reproduced
bit of advice to aspiring authors or public speakers. In an idle
moment, I set out to trace it to its origin. It turns out to be a
hardy perennial, which became popular on both sides of the Atlantic
from the 1880s on, appearing regularly in magazines and newspapers.
The earliest unearthed so far is in The Pennsylvania School Journal
of 1874. It is surely older still. This version is from early in its
life:

    Let your conversation possess a clarified conciseness,
    compacted comprehensibleness, coalescent consistency, and
    a concatenated cogency. Eschew all conglomerations of
    flatulent garrulity, jejune babblement, and asinine
    affectations. Let your extemporaneous descantings and
    unpremeditated expatiations have intelligibility, without
    rhodomontade or thrasonical bombast. Sedulously avoid all
    polysyllabical profundity, pompous prolixity, and
    ventriloquial vapidity. Shun double-entendre and prurient
    jocosity, whether obscure or apparent. In other words,
    speak truthfully, naturally, clearly, purely, but do not
    use large words.
    [Notes and Queries, 11 Feb. 1893.]

3. Topical Words: Reverse ferret
It was good to see this item of British journalists' slang turn up
recently. When the Bishop of London executed a volte face by
suspending legal action against the protesters camped outside St
Paul's Cathedral, a couple of the more upmarket British newspapers
referred to his decision as a reverse ferret.

Journalists, more even than the populace at large, are sceptical of
public figures who have the strength of character to decide that
they were wrong about something. Politicians run scared of changing
policy and so being thought to be indecisive. Margaret Thatcher, at
her party conference in Brighton in 1980, gave her view of policy U-
turns, "You can turn if you like: the lady's not for turning", a
witty bit of scriptwriting that, lacking a sense of humour (and
possibly knowledge of the play by Christopher Fry), she had to be
convinced was worth including. Tony Blair famously told his party
conference in 2003 that he had "not got a reverse gear" over his
decision to invade Iraq. George Osborne, the current Chancellor of
the Exchequer, says he has no Plan B.

The term was applied, in the first three months of 2011, by the
Telegraph to an insurance company's decision not to proceed with a
takeover; by the radio critic of the Independent to his decision not
to listen any more to The Archers (the longest-surviving soap in the
world) and by the Financial Times to PM David Cameron's reversal of
foreign policy by acting in support of the rebels in Libya.

It is agreed that the term was created by Kelvin MacKenzie, the
notorious former editor of Rupert Murdoch's British tabloid, The Sun
(known to journalists by the rhyming slang phrase The Current Bun or
The Bun). He's known for headlines such as "Freddie Starr Ate My
Hamster" (later proved untrue), "Gotcha!" (jingoistically
celebrating the sinking of the General Belgrano during the Falklands
War), and "If Kinnock Wins Today, Will The Last Person To Leave
Britain Please Turn Out The Lights" (on general election day in
1992).

He based the term on the Yorkshire extreme sport of ferret legging.
It consists of tying string around the ankles of a contestant's
trousers, popping a couple of ferrets down them and tightening the
belt. No underwear is permitted. The little beasts are domesticated
versions of the polecat, traditionally used to hunt rabbits by
sending them down burrows to flush the animals out (hence "to ferret
out"). They have viciously sharp teeth. The winner is the one who
can stand the agony longest; the world record, I am told, is an
astonishing five hours and thirty minutes. Kelvin MacKenzie's view
was that his newspaper's job was to provoke public figures - as he
put it, to "stick a ferret down their trousers". Whenever he felt
that public opinion had turned against the policy of The Sun, he
would announce a change with the mysterious shout "reverse ferret!".

4. Q and A: Beat
Q. I have exhausted my not inconsiderable collection of reference
books in a search to find the origin, and explanation for the use,
of the noun "beat" in the expressions police officer's beat and news
reporter's beat. I would be grateful for any help you can give.
[Horace Krever]

A. It seems, from my own searches, that lexicographers are as much
in doubt about its source as are you. There are so many senses of
"beat", both noun and verb (the Oxford English Dictionary lists 33
separate senses for the verb and its compound phrases and 17 more
for the noun) that establishing an unequivocal connection isn't
easy.

There's no doubt that the origin lies in the verb, meaning to strike
with repeated blows, which was already in existence in Old English.
Two possible origins are suggested in particular and both are
plausible. One derives from the idea of the feet hitting the ground,
either in walking or running. Compounds such as "to beat a path" and
"beaten track" come from this. The OED also suggests "to beat the
streets" as an example, a rare phrasing which appears here:

    A time of need followed, during which Hall Caine beat
    the streets of London in search of work.
    [McClure's Magazine, Dec. 1895.]

You might argue that that is using "beat" in the other likely sense,
that of beating the ground to drive game towards hunters, which is
known in several set phrases of various ages - "beating the bushes",
"to beat the town for recruits", "beat over old ground", or "to beat
about the bush". Both reporters and police might reasonably be said
to beat the urban landscape in the hope of flushing out stories or
criminals.

However, there's another aspect which I think enables us to choose
between these two possibilities. A beat for a constable refers to a
regular route which he traverses on foot ("walking the beat" is the
usual way to describe the activity). It appears in the regulations
of Sir Robert Peel's new Metropolitan Police Force of London at the
time of their establishment in September 1829:

    Each Sergeant's party, when on duty, will have charge
    of its respective section of the division, each Police
    Constable having a beat appropriated to him within the
    section.
    [Reproduced in The Morning Post, 25 Sep. 1829.]

That surely links his route to the "beating a path" sense. Though a
journalist's beat usually implies a subject area - politics, courts,
labour issues - rather than a physical circuit, I strongly suspect
from the dating of the latter usage (the late 1890s in the US) that
it derives from the police sense, not least because a reporter at
that time would gather stories largely on foot.

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is at
http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2011. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).