World Wide Words -- 18 Aug 12

Fri Aug 17 10:17:15 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 798          Saturday 18 August 2012
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/xzcd.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Wardour-Street English.
3. Wordface.
4. Q and A: Whipping-boy.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
HOLIDAY BREAK  World Wide Words will not appear next week - my wife
and I are taking a short trip away. The issue of 1 September is the
next scheduled one.

STRICKLE  Many readers noted that this tool resembled in function
and name the "strigil", one with a curved blade that Romans used in
the baths to scrape dirt and sweat off their bodies. The similarity
is misleading, as no link exists: "strigil" is from the Latin verb
"stringere", to touch lightly. The latter is the source of one old
sense of the English word "stricture", likewise to touch lightly.
(Its other senses are from another Latin verb of the same spelling,
meaning to bind tightly.)

Another word with similar associations is "screed", a strip of wood
or other material to set a level for laying concrete or applying
plaster (we meet it more often in the sense of the result). This
again has a different history: it once meant an edge or bordering
strip, from which the current sense derives. It was earlier a strip
or fragment cut or torn from a larger piece - the Old English
original is also the source of "shred".

OUT OF SCHOOL  A quotation of 1833 in the piece on "talking out of
school" last week referred dismissively to "riding schools and
schools for scandal". The second allusion was obvious but the first
puzzled me. I have clearly led too sheltered a lexicographical life.
Bruce Napier suggested "riding school" was a low slang term of the
time for a brothel. This is supported by the related term "riding
academy" being on record in this sense. And you may not know that a
confusion between the two meanings of "riding school" was the basis
of a South African film of 1981, Birds of Paradise.

2. Weird Words: Wardour-Street English
I caught myself using the obsolete word "withal" in an e-mail to a
subscriber last week and out of interest looked it up. I was deeply
chastened to find it dismissed as a "Wardour-Street word" in every
edition of Fowler's Modern English Usage back to the first of 1926.
It is not a compliment.

In my younger days, London's Wardour Street was a metaphor for the
British film industry, which was based in and around it. No longer.
As the Sunday Times wrote in May 2012, "The movie companies, which
had great window displays all along Wardour Street, have gone." To
men of an earlier generation, such as H W Fowler, the associations
of the street were instead with dealers in antique furniture and
imitations thereof.

"Thereof": I am doubly reproved. Henry Fowler included it alongside
"withal" in his collection of Wardour-Street words, alongside "wot",
"thither", "varlet", "howbeit", "belike", "albeit", "betimes" and
numerous others. He wrote of them in sarcasm of deepest hue:

    As Wardour Street itself offers to those who live in
    modern houses the opportunity of picking up an antique or
    two that will be conspicuous for good or ill among their
    surroundings, so this article offers to those who write
    modern English a selection of oddments calculated to
    establish (in the eyes of some readers) their claim to be
    persons of taste & writers of beautiful English.
    [A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, by H W Fowler,
    1926.]

Wardour-Street words are borrowed especially by the authors of bad
historical fiction who adopt the "Prithee, sirrah!" and "Have at ye,
thou scurvy varlet!" schools of exposition. They follow writers of
an earlier age, above whom towers Sir Walter Scott, who single-
handedly invented the historical genre and resurrected many antique
words with which to decorate it.

"Wardour-Street English" sounds like a phrase that Fowler might have
invented. But it's older. Its creator, writing in Longman's Magazine
in October 1888, was a historian named Archibald Ballantyne, who had
the year previously published a biography of the eighteenth-century
statesman Lord Carteret.

He was ridiculing attempts by a group that included the Dorset poet
William Barnes to expunge foreign elements from the language. Their
ideal was to return to the "purity" of pre-Conquest "Anglo-Saxon"
English through inventing replacement terms on Old English roots,
such as "fireghost" for electricity, "gleecraft" for music or "high-
deedy" for magnificent. Ballantyne also mocked William Morris, in
particular his translation of the Odyssey, full of terms such as
"thrall-folk", "dight" and "yeasay". He wrote of it, "This is not
literary English of any date; this is Wardour-Street Early English -
a perfectly modern article with a sham appearance of the real
antique about it."

In the same way that an unscrupulous dealer might distress a modern
piece of furniture to create a spurious impression of age, argued
Ballantyne, so writers who clothe their prose in the cast-offs of ye
olde Englyshe are producing poor fakes. Elderly lexicographers who
spend so much of their time reading old texts that they have picked
up obsolete turns of phrase may surely be excused this condemnation.

The term is less used than it once was but may still be found:

    Massie then settles down into a species of Wardour
    Street English not seen since the days of W.H. Ainsworth
    and G. P. R. James, in which a horse is always a trusty
    steed or even a "palfrey", the wretched Alory, absconding
    bearer of the Oriflamme, is branded 'a coward and a
    poltroon' and Elgebast warns the esquires Ivor and Yves
    that "if you play me false I shall split the pair of you
    from gizzard to guts".
    [In a review of Charlemagne and Roland by Allan Massie
    in the Spectator, 11 Aug. 2007.]

3. Wordface
WHERE THE TOAD SUCKS ... This column doesn't often feature toponymic
matters, but I can't resist noting the results of a survey published
last week which named the 10 most unfortunate place names in the US,
as voted upon by visitors to a genealogical site. Top of the list
came the estimable Arkansas community of Toad Suck. The others, in
decreasing ranking: Climax, Boring, Hooker, Assawoman, Belchertown,
Roachtown, Loveladies, Squabbletown and Monkey's Eyebrow. There are
many others worldwide. Don't tell me about them, please ...

4. Q and A: Whipping-boy
Q. I've just read that somebody had become a "whipping-boy". Where
does this come from? Was he ever a real boy? [Jonas Withers]

A. He was, and it's one of the stranger stories in word history.

First off, a whipping-boy is a scapegoat, a person who suffers
punishment because of the faults of somebody else. Here's a recent
example:

    Sorkin is well aware that he is a whipping-boy for a
    swathe of America - he's the preppy liberal with a big ego
    they love to hate.
    [Sunday Times, 8 Jul. 2012. The context is Aaron
    Sorkin's TV show The Newsroom.]

These days, "whipping-boy" is as figurative a term as "scapegoat".
We don't any longer load all the sins of a community on to a goat
and send it into the wilderness and similarly we don't chastise a
child for the naughtiness of another. But we once did.

The term seems never to have been attached literally to anybody much
below the companion of a prince. The earliest on record - though no
doubt there were previous examples - was an Irish lad named Barnaby
Fitzpatrick (or Fitzpatric or Fitz-Patric). His father sent him - at
the age of six or thereabouts - to the English court in 1543 to be a
companion to Prince Edward, later Edward VI. He was said to have
been regularly punished for Edward's misdeeds. A play early the
following century about Henry VIII and the young Prince Edward
features a fictional version of him:

    Prince: Why, how now, Browne; what's the matter?
    Browne: Your Grace loyters, and will not plye your
    booke, and your tutors have whipt me for it.
    Prince: Alas, poor Ned! I am sorrie for it. I'll take
    the more paines, and entreate my tutors for thee.
    [When You see Me You know Me, by Samuel Rowley,
    1604.]

It has often been suggested that the system grew up because the
prince's tutors daren't lay a hand on the prince and so punished his
companion. It's more probable that it was a better way of keeping
the prince well-mannered than direct punishment, since he knew that
if he transgressed his companion would suffer instead.

It must have been difficult for young Barnaby, but he briefly did
well out of it. He became an intimate of the future king and was
sent to France to complete his education. However, Edward VI died in
1553, aged only 15, and hope of preference vanished. Half a century
later, in 1603, another boy, the even younger William Murray, was
placed by his father in a similar situation with Prince Charles,
later Charles I. Murray did better than Fitzpatrick: he later became
the first Earl of Dysart and a confidant of the king, working even
after Charles's execution to put Charles II on the throne.

The term "whipping-boy" wasn't around at the time of either of these
boys - it was sometimes known as "punishment by proxy". The first
known user of "whipping-boy" was a clergyman named John Trapp in a
Biblical commentary in 1647.

A BBC piece on 6 August, headlined "High flying technology to map
Peru ruins", delighted Stephen Conroy with this sentence: "Small
enough to fit in a backpack, Professor Adams hopes the device would
be able to be used by any researcher."

A report on MoneyWeb in South Africa, seen by Colin Day in Cape
Town, quoted a comment by a firm of attorneys: "The warrants have
been issued unlawfully and unconstitutionally and in fragrant
violation of our client's rights."

Freudian slip? Chas Blacker read a comment from one of Britain's
veteran medal winners in the Independent on 7 August: "'My hip's
great,' said Skeleton, 'It's my back that's the problem now.'" The
speaker was actually show-jumper Nick Skelton.

Thanks go to Richard Kuebbing for sending us this report on Yahoo!
News, dated 14 August, which began "A nearly 400-foot deep sinkhole
in Louisiana has swallowed all of the trees in its area and enacted
a mandatory evacuation order for about 150 residences for fear of
potential radiation and explosions."

Definitely a headline to make you read it twice - Richard Moloney
found it in the Irish Times on 14 August: "Cruise ship makes maiden
stop in Dublin". Accidental wording, or sub-editor's joke?

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of substantial parts of items in printed publications or commercial
websites requires permission from the author beforehand.