World Wide Words -- 02 Feb 13

Fri Feb 1 17:10:34 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 817         Saturday 2 February 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/wczz.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
Bill Heritage gently chided me for a comment in my piece on the word
"pavonine": "You used the expression, 'the blue of the peacock's
tail'. I know you are a stickler for accuracy yourself so I hope you
will not mind my observation that the tail is predominantly green.
It is the peacock's head and neck that are iridescent blue." Others
noted that in Spanish "pavo", from the Latin for a peacock, means a
turkey, a curious shift of sense (peacock is "pavo real" where the
second word means "royal").

Ian Roberts noted that Saki (HH Monroe) uses "pavonicide" in a story
in which a country house guest shoots a peacock ("Some hostesses, of
course, will forgive anything, even unto pavonicide"). Saki's
character adds "is there such a word?" There may be, but nobody
seems to have ever used it except Saki.

Several readers asked whether there's a link between "pavonine" and
the stately old dance called the pavane. J Hogan wrote, "Dance
history has it that the pavane, which swept the Continent in the
Middle Ages and beyond, was named after the peacock, whose strut had
already inspired the Italian verb 'pavoneggiare' for the kind of
dainty striding best suited to display both dignity and fine
voluminous robes at formal social events." In this case, dance
history and lexicography are at odds, since the view of the latter
is that peacocks aren't involved. The Oxford English Dictionary
says, "this has previously been taken by many to be the etymology of
the word, but is now generally rejected." Instead, it suggests that
"pavane" is from the Italian "pavana", a rustic dance from the
region of Padua.

Last week, I used "paywall" without any thought that it might be an
unusual word for readers. Enough queries came in to show it wasn't
as widely known as I had assumed. A paywall prevents visitors who
don't have a subscription from accessing content on a website. It's
an obvious play on "firewall", in the computing sense of security
software that likewise prevents unauthorised access; in turn this
derives from a wall or partition designed to inhibit or prevent the
spread of fire. The Oxford English Dictionary's first example of
"paywall" is from 2004.

2. Penny for your thoughts
Q. A colleague here in Taiwan has just asked, "What does 'a penny
for your thoughts' mean?" I would generally use it to ask someone to
tell me what they're thinking, and my online search tells me that's
the common use. But, so far, I've failed to find out the origin of
the phrase. [Brendan Hale]

A. It's an odd little idiom, a colloquial way to speak to somebody
who's daydreaming or lost in thought. It is used to ask what they're
thinking about, but as often a gentle way to point out that they're
preoccupied.

    This was a long thought to think, and George looked
    very serious while she was thinking it. Julian looked up
    and caught her blue eyes fixed on him. He smiled. "Penny
    for your thoughts!" he said. "They're not worth a penny,"
    said George, going red.
    [Five On A Treasure Island, by Enid Blyton, 1942.]

Some people wonder if it might be insulting, since a penny is such a
small amount of money, and might produce the sharp response "Is that
all you think my thoughts are worth?" That certainly wasn't the idea
behind it, since a penny was worth rather a lot more when the phrase
was first written down about 1535. They were then silver coins and
experts estimate on the basis of average earnings that they were
worth in the region of 1600 modern pence (if the value is estimated
on the basis of purchasing power, the figure drops to between 65 and
120 pence). Alas, the idiom hasn't kept pace with inflation.

We have no idea who invented the saying. We know it from the works
of Sir Thomas More, lord chancellor, humanist, and martyr, which
were published posthumously in 1557. He wrote around 1535 that it
was used with a note of reproach about a vagrant mind. A little
later, it appears in a famous collection:

    Wherewith in a great musing he was brought,
    Friend (quoth the good man) a penny for your thought.
    [A Dialogue Containing the Number in Effect of all the
    Proverbs in the English Tongue, by John Heywood, 1546.]

3. Sneap
This ancient word has a fine pedigree - Shakespeare used it a couple
of times - with many relatives and variant forms in the older
English dialects.

However, it went out of the mainstream language in the nineteenth
century, to the extent that an article in the Spectator in June 1888
held it up as a specimen of the wonderful English of foreigners who
compiled English dictionaries. (The writer might have had in mind
that extraordinary New Guide of the Conversation in Portuguese and
English by Pedro Carolino that had appeared five years before, whose
preface asserted that its "translation what only will be for to
accustom the Portuguese pupils, or foreign, to speak very bad any of
the mentioned idioms", an ambition triumphantly achieved.) The
renowned philologist of the period, Walter Skeat, criticised the
Spectator article for its insufficiencies.

He might have said that he sneaped it, since the word's principal
meaning was to reprove or chide. It's linked to Old Norse "sneypa",
to outrage, dishonour or disgrace. In Henry IV, Part 2, Sir John
Falstaff responds to criticism from the Lord Chief Justice that he
had been imposing on the innkeeper Mistress Quickly: "My lord, I
will not undergo this sneap without reply."

But when it was first recorded in English it meant to pinch or nip.
The link is with another Scandinavian relative, the Swedish "snöpa",
to castrate. Rebukes were presumably seen as the unkindest cut, an
unmanning of one's power or reputation. Might "sneap" be linked to
"snip", or even "snipe"? It would be good to uncover a connection,
but the experts say there isn't one.

Despite the Spectator, the word was far from dead. In the sense of
biting criticism it was still to be found two decades later:

    "Now, Master Charles," Hilda could remember her saying,
    "will you ask me for the next polka all over again, and
    try not to look as if you were doing me a favour and were
    rather ashamed of yourself?" She had a tongue for the
    sneaping of too casual boys, and girls also.
    [Hilda Lessways, by Arnold Bennett, 1911.]

And, as Walter Skeat pointed out, it was in active use in English
dialects ranging from Staffordshire to Cumberland, with meanings
such as blight or wither, deprive, pinch or starve, or disappoint.
Half a century after the Spectator article, a book of north-country
childhood memories recalls some of these dialect uses:

    Anyone who had been snubbed or repressed into silence
    before other people was said to have been "sneaped". A
    haughty woman would sneap another, an overbearing man
    would sneap his wife, the wintry-wind sneaped us to
    silence.
    [The Country Child, by Alison Uttley, 1931.]

Memories of it have not entirely vanished. In 1998, a reviewer in
the Birmingham Post of a fresh recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons
said of it, "Summer storms bring some exhilaratingly fierce bowing
in a consistently dramatic account, and Winter opens with almost
physically sneaping sounds", calling it "a good old Shakespearean
Midlands word".

4. MOOC
Several decades ago, I read a science-fiction story which predicted
that at some unspecified future date all college tuition would be by
a form of networked television, with the best teachers becoming the
well-paid equivalent of film stars. I've long forgotten the author
and title of the story but I was reminded of its prescience by
coming across "MOOC".

It's an acronym, for "Massive Open Online Course" (or "Massive Open
Online Class"), a course of study indeed taught online using video.
But a MOOC is more than that, as a recent article explains:

    MOOCs are more than good university lectures available
    online. The real innovation comes from integrating
    academics talking with interactive coursework, such as
    automated tests, quizzes and even games. Real-life
    lectures have no pause, rewind (or fast-forward) buttons;
    MOOCs let students learn at their own pace, typically with
    short, engaging videos, modelled on the hugely successful
    online lecturettes pioneered by TED, a non-profit
    organiser of upmarket mindfests.
    [The Economist, 22 Dec. 2012.]

In the 1960s the Open University in the UK was a pioneer of such
distance teaching, in part using BBC radio and television. It has
recently joined with other British universities to provide course
content, lectures and assignments that follow the MOOC model. US
institutions such as MIT and Harvard are providing MOOCs, as are
several independent start-ups. They are proving popular, but for
many students a downside is that few courses lead to a qualification
and it is uncertain whether they can be economically viable in the
long term.

MOOC borrows from online gaming acronyms such as MMOG (Massively
Multiplayer Online Game) and MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online
Role-Playing Game). It was coined by George Siemens, a prominent
Canadian educator at the Center for Distance Education, who with
Stephen Downes created the first MOOC in 2008.

5. Elsewhere
If you have been put off contemporary art by the difficult language
used to write about it, you are not alone. Many people just call it
artspeak but the American writers Alix Rule and David Levine named
it International Art English in an article in the magazine Triple
Canopy last June, arguing that it functions as a dialect with its
own rules. That article isn't available online but Andy Beckett has
written about IAE in the Guardian: http://wwwords.org?UGIAE.

Details of the 2011 census that came out on Thursday shows that the
second most spoken language in England is Polish. This is the result
of substantial immigration in the past decade. It has overtaken the
more established Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi and Urdu, which are spoken
by immigrants from the Indian subcontinent. The Independent is one
of many reporting the details: http://wwwords.org?PSLE.

David Weston came across a headline in the Leader-Post of Regina,
Saskatchewan, dated 26 January: "Denise batters appointed senator".
Initially startled, he was comforted by the lead sentence: "The
contingent of Saskatchewan women in the Red Chamber has grown with
the appointment of Denise Batters."

Jocelyn Dodd wondered at the strange names some parents give their
children when she read this on the Optus Zoo online entertainment
news on 25 January: "[Nicole] Kidman's hubby Keith Urban kicks off
his latest Aussie tour in Brisbane tonight and the Paperboy actress
is expected to bring their daughters Sunday and Faith Down Under at
some point soon."

Thanks to Chris, we learn of an item in the January issue of the
Hove Civic Society Newsletter, reflecting on a visit to the Old Ship
Hotel in Brighton. It says: "In 1831 Paganani - who is now regarded
as the master of modern violin playing - performed in the ballroom
from a balcony above the audience, which is still in situ."

7. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
on Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.