World Wide Words -- 30 Nov 13

Fri Nov 29 15:56:52 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 860         Saturday 30 November 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/bcfm.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Larrikin.
3. Wordface.
4. Thirteen and the odd.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
SELFIE  Colin Houlden commented, "As long ago as the mid fifties,
whilst serving in the Royal Navy, a self-photo was referred to as a
'me-graph'. It would appear 'selfie' is but a step away!"

DROWNING, NOT WAVING?  Several readers denied there was anything
wrong with the headline in last week's Sic! section: "Where someone
drowns determines their chance of survival." They held that drowning
isn't necessarily fatal because victims can be resuscitated. I was
so surprised that I checked the verb in numerous dictionaries. All
the definitions include the word "die", which reflects the everyday
sense of the verb. "Drowning" may indicate a process but "drown" is
surely final. I wonder if a shift in meaning is developing under the
lexicographical radar?

FEGHOOTS  My piece on these mini shaggy dog stories gave readers a
wonderful opportunity to quote their favourite elaborate puns, such
as "Great auks from lid allay cairn's groan", "People who live in
grass houses shouldn't stow thrones" and "Honour's tea is the best,
Polly, see!" Jeff Lewis's favourite tag line was a list of things
Frank Muir had to attend to before his wife returned from holiday
"Soup, a cauli, fridge, elastic, eggs, peas, halitosis". Malcolm
Ross-Macdonald remembered one with the punchline, "One Tooth Free
For Fife, Sick Sven Ate Nine Tench." No more, please!

It was a delight to discover that nobody wrote for an explanation of
"male pheasants in orifice"; should you still be wondering, it's an
obfuscated reference to "malfeasance in office".

2. Larrikin
"Larrikin" is a quintessentially Australian term. It appeared in the
1860s for a street rowdy or urban tough. The writer Archibald Forbes
described the larrikin as "a cross between the Street Arab and the
Hoodlum, with a dash of the Rough thrown in to improve the mixture."
Vicious fights between larrikin gangs were common. In the late
nineteenth century some gangs formed formed a subculture with a
dress style that included broad-brimmed hats, gaudy waistcoats,
strapped moleskin trousers and high-heeled boots.

Early suggestions of its origins were fanciful. The obituary in the
Melbourne Argus in 1888 of a police officer named James Dalton said
that he had accidentally invented it in a court hearing through a
misunderstanding of his saying "larking" in his broad Irish accent.
This was countered by a letter in a subsequent edition, which argued
that it was from "leery"; the writer said it had became a catchword
of Melbourne youths in the 1860s from its appearance in a popular
London song, The Leery Cove. Locals started to call the boys "leery
kids", which was transmuted over time into "larrikin". A related
story of the same period was that criminals in local jails described
themselves as "leery kin", which was similarly amended through the
Irish brogue of their jailers. "Kin" was also invoked in "Larry's
kin", the supposed relatives of some unknown Australian. This has
been linked to "happy as Larry" (http://wwwords.org/hply), another
Australianism recorded first around the same time as larrikin. The
supposed connection with Irishmen in two of the tales has led to
some writers on language declaring "larrikin" to be an Irish word.

We can dispose of all of these stories at a stroke by looking across
the Tasman Sea. "Larrikin" is recorded in New Zealand in 1866, two
years before Australia. There can be little doubt that the word had
a common origin in the old country. The English Dialect Dictionary
has "larrikin" as a dialect term of Warwickshire and Worcestershire
for a mischievous or frolicsome youth. It would seem to have become
significantly modified in sense during its journey to the Antipodes.

In modern Australian English, larrikin has been inverted into a term
almost of respect. The old sense of a tearaway or hooligan has been
replaced by that of a non-conformist and irreverent person with a
careless disregard for social or political conventions, someone who
may be thought truly Australian.

3. Wordface
DOGGY BLENDS  Dog breeders who create crosses delight in inventing
cutesy names for them, particularly if a poodle is part of the mix.
The cockapoo is a poodle crossed with a cocker spaniel; a maltipoo
is a poodle and Maltese terrier cross; the peekaboo is the offspring
of a poodle and a pekinese. The Daily Mail recently reported on the
newest: the cava-poo-chon is "a cavalier King Charles spaniel and
bichon frise mix bred with a miniature poodle."

STANFORDENE  The technical press has been excited this week at the
implications of an announcement by researchers at the SLAC National
Accelerator Laboratory and Stanford University, who predict that a
material as yet unmade has high promise for the next generation of
computer chips. It's a two-dimensional single layer of tin atoms,
which theory suggests will conduct electricity with 100% efficiency
at room temperature. Adding fluorine atoms could keep it working at
the temperature of boiling water. It may not have been made yet but
it already has a name, "stanene", from the Latin for tin, "stannum",
plus the "-ene" ending from "graphene".

MAXWELL'S HAMMER  I came across an odd British jargon term the other
day: "Maxwellisation process". This is lawyer-speak for a procedure
by which individuals who are to be criticised in an official report
are warned so they can respond before publication. The process is in
the news at the moment in connection with the long-delayed report of
the Chilcot inquiry into the causes of the war in Iraq. The term can
be found at least as far back as the early 1990s but its origin lies
in a court case of the early 1970s brought by the media mogul Robert
Maxwell. He had been severely criticised in a government report and
argued that it was against natural justice not to have been given an
opportunity to respond before the report was published.

4. Thirteen and the odd
Q. In Melancholy Dane, Damon Runyon describes folks waiting to enter
a performance of Hamlet dressed "in the old thirteen and odd." What
a curious construction! Where does it come from? [Robert Visconti]

A. This is the full quote from the short story:

    Well, I finally go to the theater with Ambrose and it
    is quite a high-toned occasion with nearly everybody in
    the old thirteen-and-odd because Mansfield Sothern has a
    big following in musical comedy and it seems that his
    determination to play Hamlet produces quite a
    sensation.
    [The Melancholy Dane, by Damon Runyon, in Collier's
    Weekly, 18 Mar. 1944.]

I mentioned this in a piece back in 2006 about "soup and fish" (see
http://wwwords.org/spfsh), the Wodehousian slang term for evening
dress, because I had come across it in the same context. I couldn't
make head nor tail of it then and time was too short to enquire.
Having now done so, I'm not much further forward.

It's slang of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in
the USA. The first instance I've come across was in the New York
Herald in September 1898 and the last - apart from Damon Runyon's -
was in a short story by George Ade, The Fable of Mr. Whipple's Dress
Suit, syndicated in newspapers in 1933. The dating suggests that the
expression had already fallen out of fashion by the time Runyon used
it; Jean Wagner's assertion in a 1966 book about his slang that he
had invented it is clearly mistaken.

An early example makes clear that the two slang terms refer to
different things:

    "Ain't you dining out? What'll I git you - the 'soup-
    and-fish' or the 'thirteen-and-the-odd?'" Stephen
    disclaimed any desire for the dinner coat first mentioned,
    declaring his preference for the more formal tailed
    garment.
    [An Enemy to Society, by G Bronson-Howard, 1911.]

Here, the "thirteen-and-the-odd" is clearly what we know as "white
tie" or "top hat and tails", a full formal evening dress of a black
tail coat, white waistcoat, white bow tie and top hat. "Soup and
fish" is a tuxedo or the equivalent called "black tie" because it is
normally worn with a black bow tie. But an earlier example (found
for me by Christopher Philippo) contradicts this:

    "Tod" was as graceful and courteous as it is possible
    to be. He shook hands with this man and that woman, then
    went to his room and came down in half an hour dressed in
    his "thirteens and the odd," as the boys around Saratoga
    call a Tuxedo and low cut vest.
    [New York Evening Telegram, 11 Aug. 1899.]

After I mentioned it for the first time, several readers pointed out
that the crackerjack uniform of junior enlisted men in the US Navy
(http://wwwords.org/crack) is fastened by a thirteen-button flap.
This may be relevant, but probably not.

A card game of the same name is mentioned by a witness in a case
before the supreme court of Alabama in 1855, who claimed that it
could also be played with dominoes. Nobody else mentions the domino
version but the card game is described in a number of American
compendia, such as The Modern Pocket Hoyle of 1868. It was a version
of whist for two people, who were each dealt 13 cards, with another
turned up on the pack to indicate trumps. Hence, I suppose, thirteen
and the odd.

It's possible that the black-and-white of the cards (or dominoes if
the game was more common than the references imply) was transferred
by analogy to formal dress. The written evidence hints that it was
first used for the tuxedo, which was introduced at Tuxedo Park in
New York State in the middle 1880s, but was later transferred to the
formal white tie, with "soup-and-fish" taking over for the tuxedo.

The phrase is so curious and unusual that there surely must be some
connection between the game and the dress styles. But the evidence
is so sparse that as matters stand it's impossible to be sure what
was in people's minds to link them.

Robert Kernish found this on the website of the Iron Hill Brewery:
"We took Paul's love of big west coast IPAs and Chris' pension for
dry, yeast-driven Belgians and came up with this American-Belgo."

Jeff Gale was reading the Wall Street Journal for 20 November and
came across this mystifying headline: "Kiwi Up on China Baby Talk".
It turns out that the New Zealand dollar has gained value against
the American dollar on news that China is relaxing its one-child
policy. It seems that New Zealand supplies much of China's milk.

One of the editor's picks on the site of ABC News in Australia on 27
November read: "Captive-bred Tasmanian devils are thriving on their
new island home, breeding and interacting with tourists." Thanks to
Rob Young for sending that in.

"Beware of abusive rights groups," was Frank Steele's comment on an
Associated Press headline on 25 November: "Zimbabwe Urged to End
Abuses by Rights Group."

From the Vermont Eagle of Middlebury, Vermont, dated 30 November,
spotted by Spence Putnam: "The complainant, Robert Evegan, reported
he discovered two males breaking into a building on his property
which fled once they were discovered."

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org/sb. This
newsletter is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org/rs) and on
Twitter (http://wwwords.org/tw). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org/bk.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org/st .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.