World Wide Words

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org
Sat Mar 4 10:53:10 UTC 2017

A little while ago, I wrote to you to explain that "personal
circumstances" meant I was suspending publication of the newsletter. Some
subscribers took this deliberately vague phrasing to mean that I was at
death's door - as subscriber Keith McCartney put it, that I had just
written my Captain Oates message. (If you don't get the allusion, look him
up, and then face south and salute a man who was more brave than I can
imagine.)

I have indeed been less than healthy and this week have had an operation.
But it was to correct a serious misalignment of my foot, so hardly
life-threatening. I was operated on and excellently cared for at Southmead
Hospital in Bristol and was brought home by three cheerful ambulance men
for whom nothing was too much trouble. I'm writing this with one leg in
plaster propped up on a stool, with strict instructions not to put my
weight on it for a fortnight, in a house that an occupational therapist
has reconfigured for an elderly unfit hop-along casualty. None of this
cost me a penny piece, thanks to the National Health Service.

This has almost nothing to do with my decision to cease writing World Wide
Words. Truth be told, after 930 issues I was becoming written out. Every
week that passed made writing more of a chore and less of a pleasure.
About a year ago, closure of the freelance reading programme of the Oxford
English Dictionary, to which I had contributed since 1992, meant that I
had lost a key stimulus for investigating and writing about new words and
- more recently - access to the online OED. Cuts to local authority
library services have very recently severed access to a key British
Library newspaper database.

I began to think that somebody was trying to tell me it was time to stop.

The clincher was my recent and rapidly growing association with a group
building a local heritage railway: one which seeks to recreate a former
period in British rail history using restored steam locomotives and
rolling stock. I've taken on the job, as a volunteer, of organising the
conservation, documentation and move of the large collection of a recently
closed railway museum. This goes back to my earlier and longstanding
involvement with museums, heritage interpretation and railway history.
It's a challenge that I would be constitutionally unable to walk away
from, even if I could at the moment.

So I've decided to make my temporary suspension of the newsletter
permanent. However, the World Wide Words website will continue as an
archive and reference, as will the separate Affixes site. The 3000 pieces
on the Words site should provide you with reading matter for a while.

For me it's not only an ending but also a beginning. I hope I move on with
your good wishes.

Thanks go to everybody who has contributed to the newsletter since its
faltering genesis in 1997 and helped to make it the success it became. And
thank you for reading it. I wish you all the best in the future.

--
Michael Quinion
michael.quinion:worldwidewords.org