[ACLA-CAAL] Delphi consensus survey - Developing reading passages for the assessment of speech and voice

Timothy Pommée timothy.pommee at irit.fr
Mon Jul 6 15:54:24 UTC 2020

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am a speech & language pathologist and PhD student (IRIT, UT3, Toulouse, France), currently conducting a thesis on the clinical relevance of intelligibility measures. In this context, I am interested in collecting the opinions of a large international panel of speech and voice professionals (both clinicians and researchers in the fields of speech pathology, phoniatrics, phonetics, prosody, speech-related computer sciences…), in order to reach a consensus on what criteria have to be taken into account when creating a standard reading passage specifically designed for speech and voice assessment.

For this purpose, I will be using the Delphi methodology, an extensively used group survey methodology that is conducted over several (usually three) consecutive rounds and is quasi-anonymous (the identity of each participant is only known to the main investigator/moderator, participants remain anonymous to each other, which allows for freedom of expression without any social or professional pressure from peers).

This consensus survey, which will be carried out online on LimeSurvey, will be structured as follows:
    1) Definitions of speech-related concepts*
    2) Perceptual and objective speech measures*
    3) Criteria for creating standard reading passages
*questions in these sections will only be presented to participants with activities in speech and fluency disorders

Attached to this email, you will find a notice containing more information about the project as well as the invitation letter which contains the link to the online survey.

In order for me to collect as many answers as possible, could I ask you kindly to distribute my request to your affiliates? Or to suggest other contact persons?

The deadline to complete the first questionnaire is currently set to 31 August 2020.

I thank you very much for your consideration and for your help.
Please, feel free to contact me at any time for further information.

Kind regards,

Timothy Pommée
SLP and PhD student in computer science and telecommunications
timothy.pommee at irit.fr