[ACLA-CAAL] Call for Proposals

Niousha Pavia niousha.pavia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 12:44:57 UTC 2021

*Building language learners’ and teachers’ self-efficacy beliefs: Research,
reflection and practice*
Mark Wyatt and Farahnaz Faez

We have been invited to submit a book proposal for an edited volume on
language learners’ and teachers’ self-
efficacy beliefs by a major publisher.

Self-efficacy beliefs, i.e. can-do beliefs in one’s abilities to fulfil
specific valued tasks in particular domains and
contexts, have been the subject of much research in the last 20 years, in
both language learning and language
teaching. This research interest reflects the importance of these beliefs
in shaping behavior and influencing
outcomes.
Much of the research to date has appeared in journals, with treatment in
book form rare. We feel it is time for
an edited volume that both consolidates recent developments in the field,
drawing on work from different
national contexts, and points towards the future. We are particularly
interested in how transformative change
can be effected in the language self-efficacy (LSE) beliefs of learners and
teachers.
The proposed edited volume focuses on areas such as the following:
· Methodological considerations in researching LSE beliefs (using
quantitative, qualitative and mixed
methods designs)
· LSE beliefs and related psychological constructs (e.g. self-esteem,
self-concept, self-determination)
· LSE beliefs in language learning (e.g. development in language learning
strategies, skills relating to
reading, writing, listening and speaking, knowledge areas such as grammar,
pronunciation and vocabulary)
· LSE beliefs and language proficiency (and issues such as the
legitimization of world Englishes, the
valuing of bilingualism, social justice for marginalized groups, and the
focus in teacher preparation courses
on the language needed for teaching rather than global linguistic
competence)

· LSE beliefs and language teaching (in pre- and in-service contexts,
considering teachers’ context-
specific concerns and challenges, sometimes in difficult circumstances, and
educational innovation)

· LSE beliefs, reflective practice, knowledge growth, cognitive change and
mentoring
· LSE beliefs and practitioner research (e.g. action research, exploratory
practice)
· LSE beliefs in adapting to a rapidly changing world (e.g. in using
technology)
If interested in contributing a chapter to the book, we would like to
invite you to submit an abstract of 300-500
words, together with a short list of references. You would be welcome to
focus on any of the above themes.
Chapters may include primary data, but this is not a requirement.
Reflective accounts would be welcome, as

would syntheses of the literature in a particular area or context. We would
like the volume to be forward-
looking, so implications for research and pedagogy should be emphasized.

Please contact mark.wyatt at ku.ac.ae  <mark.wyatt at ku.ac.ae>or ffaez at uwo.ca if
you have any questions. Please submit your 300-500
word abstract to us by email. The deadline is 10 January 2022. Thank you
Attachments