[vaz]/[ves]

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Apr 27 15:32:48 UTC 1999

> American innovation.  Was it French influence (or French by way of British)
> that fostered the snobbish distinction in the U.S.?
I suspect so, yes--but I hope I'm not falling into the Twainian pit of
blaming so much on the French.

Speaking of affectations, has this list ever discussed the insistence of
theater programs in this country on spelling theater as if it were
theatre? I once sent a memo to a friend in our theater department with the
last two letters of each word reversed; he was amused, but I doubt all
would be.

Peter Richardson