[vaz]/[ves]

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Tue Apr 27 18:24:06 UTC 1999

Peter Richardson wrote:

> > American innovation.  Was it French influence (or French by way of British)
> > that fostered the snobbish distinction in the U.S.?
> I suspect so, yes--but I hope I'm not falling into the Twainian pit of
> blaming so much on the French.

But they're such an easy target (I am jesting.)

> Speaking of affectations, has this list ever discussed the insistence of
> theater programs in this country on spelling theater as if it were
> theatre? I once sent a memo to a friend in our theater department with the
> last two letters of each word reversed; he was amused, but I doubt all
> would be.

I always assumed this was Anglo snobbery, just as posh invitations will use
"colour" and "harbour", and even a character on 'Ally McBeal' last night cursed
with the word "bugger".

I said /ves/ until I lived in Connecticut and was bullied into using /vaz/.
Ditto for "aunt" (and folks are _really_ confused when I say /vaz/ referring to
my Aunt Eileen...)

Andrea
--
Andrea Vine
Sun Internet Mail Server i18n architect
avine at eng.sun.com
Remember: stressed is desserts spelled backwards.