Dix notes & Dixie (a false etymology)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 8 01:56:11 UTC 1999

   I ran "dix note" and "dix notes" and "dixies" through the Making of
America database, Accessible Archives, Historical Newspapers Online, and I
think one other database.  I added "note" so I wouldn't get ole General Dix.
   There were no relevant hits.  Actually, I don't think there were ANY hits!
   There is therefore, in my opinion, ZERO chance that "dixie" comes from dix
(ten dollar) notes.
    There is a minstrel named Dixey from Philadelphia to consider.  I thought
I discussed him here before.  Maybe some other time I'll find my papers...