"In God We Trust"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 14 23:14:51 UTC 1999

     "In God We Trust" is an important American phrase.  I ran it through
computer databases and came up with a new, very early citation.
     We've discussed this briefly (see the archives).  It's also discussed in
the AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN QUOTATIONS (pg. 211) and the
RANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY OF POPULAR PROVERBS AND SAYINGS (pages 165-166).
Both credit Francis Scott Key's 1814 "The Star-Spangled Banner," which gave
us:

And this be our motto, "In God is our trust!"

     Nothing early came up on the Making of America database.  Accessible
Archives had two important hits.
     The CHRISTIAN RECORDER, 1 June 1861, had a poem called "OUR FLAG" with
the line "In God we trust."
     This is from the PENNSYLVANIA GAZETTE, 12 January 1748:

PHILADELPHIA, January 12.  DEVICES and MOTTOES painted on some of the Silk
Colours of the Regiments of ASSOCIATORS, in and near Philadelphia.
(Various Latin mottoes given--ed.)
IX.  A Coronet and Plume of Feathers.  Motto, IN GOD WE TRUST.