Vietnam profiles (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 27 05:33:13 UTC 1999

   These are from the TIMEOUT section ("On the stool") of the VIETNAM INVESTMENT REVIEW.

October 18-24, 1999, pg. 13.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE FOOD AND WHY?
   Elephant ear fish because you need company to eat it.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE WORD/PHRASE AND WHY?
   "Chac toi dien cai dau" (I'm crazy).  Of special significance to me.
WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PHRASE/SAYING ETC IN ANY LANGUAGE AND WHEN DO YOU USE IT?
   Upobissoroy.  A Greek term of endearment reserved for the closest of friends.
WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE DRINK AND DO YOU GET TOO MUCH OF IT?
   Soya milk.  Only when in Vietnam.

October 25-31, 1999, pg. 13.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE FOOD AND WHY?
   _Chem Chep_ (barbecued mussels with green onions, peanuts, ginger).  (...)
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE WORD/PHRASE AND WHY?
   "Mot nu coi bang muoi thang thuoc bo" (one smile equals 10 vitamins), a smile is very good for your health.
WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PHRASE/SAYING ETC IN ANY LANGUAGE AND WHEN DO YOU USE IT?
   "It's hotter than the hinges in Hades."  I use it when it gets blisteringly hot, baby!

November 1-7, 1999, pg. 13.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE PHRASE AND WHY?
   _Mac ke_! (I don't care, leave it alone!)  Often a big headache to foreigners.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE PHRASE IN ANY LANGUAGE?
   _Un-sui_ (cloud and water).  Japanese people used to call Buddhist monks _Un-sui_ if they travelled throughout the country to learn about the true meaning of life. (...)

November 22-28, 1999, pg. 13.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE FOOD AND WHY?
   _Ca Kho To_ (fish in a clay pot), _Ga Chien Sot Chanh_ (fried chicken with lemon juice and garlic) and _Banh Tom Ha Noi_ (Hanoi shrimp cakes), but only in our places.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE WORD/PHRASE ANMD WHY?
   "Dep qua," to flatter the ladies.  Most of the time it's even true.
WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PHRASE/SAYING ETC IN ANY LANGUAGE AND WHEN DO YOU USE IT?
   "Babaloo!"--a Jamaican word for people without common sense.  It has never left me since my time working on a cruise ship.  I still use it here sometimes.

November 29-December 5, 1999, pg. 13.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE FOOD AND WHY?
   _Cua Rang Me_ (tamarind crab).  (...)
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE WORD/PHRASE AND WHY?
   "Vo Duyen," which literally means no charm.  It is very widely used and given to a specific person, especially if that person caused a disappointing situation.  The good thing about this phrase is that the situation can be both serious and non-serious.

December 13-19, 1999, pg. 13.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE FOOD AND WHY?
   Pho, can't eat rice everyday.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE WORD/PHRASE AND WHY?
   "Khong chap nhan duoc" (totally unacceptable), you can guess why.

   I passed by the Vien Ngon Ngu Hoc, Institute of Linguistics, National Center for Social Sciences and Humanities, 20 Ly Thai To, Hanoi.  I don't know if they have a web site.