Oyster shooter

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 31 10:44:10 UTC 1999

   I just picked up a copy of the VIETNAM INVESTMENT REVIEW, Dec. 27, 1999-Jan. 2, 2000.  This is from the TIMEOUT section, pg. 6, col. 3:

_BEST COMBINATION COCKTAIL_
   Another worthy introduction during '99 has been Ho Chi Minh City's Amigo restaurant's terrific oyster shooters, a fortifying combination of vodka (I told you these guys love vodka--ed.), tomato juice and a single fresh oyster.  The effect is a little like drinking snake wine, without so many of the nasty side-effects.  (Snake wine!!  And I thought a worm in a bottle was disgusting!--ed.)

   From pp. 12-13:

_ON THE STOOL again_
One of the great innovations of the year, along with the introduction of peach coloured uniforms for traffic policemen, was Timeout's On The Stool feature.  An opportunity for voices to be heard, grievances to be aired and for frank discourse on a range of non-essentials.  Here's a selection of some of the year's best and worst answers
(Pg. 12, col. 3)  BEST VIETNAMESE WORD AND WHY?
   "Ham ham dien dien."  Crazy is a fairly ordinary word in English, but like in Thai and Indonesian, in Vietnamese it sounds exactly the same as it means.
(Pg. 13, col. 1)  STRANGEST THING YOU'VE SEEN SINCE YOU'VE BEEN HERE?
   The phrase "On the Stool"--I mean, is this some kind of indecent Brit or Aussie euphemism, or what?  Also, cheeseburgers with slices of cheese but no meat inside.