Southron birds

Wed Jul 21 18:52:33 UTC 1999

I have a belated comment on the subject heading of this old note (not on
the content of the message, sorry):  Others probably noticed that for
weeks/months on NPR one of the announcers referred to the North[wEstr at n]
Mutual Life underwriters (@=schwa).  Someone must have gotten to him
eventually, so now he says North[wEst at r@n]--substituting epenthesis for
metathesis.  I caught the first pronunciation particularly because my
brother in Minneapolis metathesizes "western," even though we didn't grow
up doing so.  Is this a recent change in progress?  (I'm aware that Old or
Middle English--can't remember which--did so, as in 'children' and
'brethren' also).