hanger

Wed Jul 21 19:12:28 UTC 1999

I heard another new pronunciation (to me) on NPR yesterday:  A newswoman
referred to a plane kept in a [haeNGg at r] at Cape Cod.  I'm aware of [NGg]
use in "Long Island," of course, but she didn't sound like a New Yorker.
(Weren't we talking about homophonic 'finger/singer' on this list recently
too, or was that the Childes list?)  I wonder in this case if the word
usage (for plane storage) might have been new to the newswoman and she
thought it must be [NGg]?  I hear a lot of bloopers on NPR lately....